BALANGA CITY: The Provincial Health Office (PHO) on Thursday announced that no test can be done to find the cause of food poisoning that downed 24 workers—they ate every shred of evidence at the mess hall of a construction company in Limay, Bataan.
PHO chief Dr. Rosanna Buccahan said that there was no leftover fried chicken and boiled pork the workers ate for lunch.
The victims work for a Korean sub-contractor doing insulation works for the Taiwanese-owned Wan Kong Construction Company building the power plant inside the Petron Bataan Refinery area in Limay town.
The workers complained of stomachache and vomiting and were rushed to the Bataan General Hospital (BGH) in Balanga City.
Buccahan said that, the victims vomited but had no loose bowel discharge.
“No rectal swab can be made and only rehydration process could be applied to them,” the PHO chief said.
She said that the Korean sub-contractor shouldered all the hospital expenses of its workers.
Dr. Joseph Quan, attending BGH physician, said the workers were placed under observation and given rehydration solutions at the emergency ward for six to eight hours and would be released if no there was no vomiting.
A check at the hospital showed that 15 workers were released before 10 in the evening of Wednesday, leaving nine at the medical ward.
As of past 10 a.m. on Thursday, nine were still at the medical ward of BGH but hospital staff said they would be released anytime after lunch.
A worker said he still suffered mild vomiting evening of Wednesday but was already feeling well and waiting to be discharged.
The victims could not say whether it was the fried chicken or the boiled pork that sent them to the hospital. “We ate fried chicken and boiled pork and after 15 minutes, our stomachs suffered cramps and we threw up,” the workers said in the vernacular.
They said that, they are provided by management free food. Kitchen helpers are assigned in the marketing and cooking of the food.