IT may seem surprising to some, but the road to a healthy vehicle air-conditioning system in the summertime—begins in the wintertime.
That’s because in addition to cooling your vehicle, one of your air conditioner’s primary functions is to remove humidity from inside your vehicle, and it works especially well when you need to remove fog from the windshield to improve visibility.
It is, therefore, a good idea to run the defrost mode of the air conditioner once a week for 10 minutes—even when it’s cold outside—to help maintain the system and prevent mildew and musty odors.
Here are more tips to help you get more mileage out of your air conditioner-so you don’t lose your cool.
• Because refrigerant gas can slowly leak from the system, have your air-conditioning system inspected and, if needed, recharged by a trained technician about every two years in the spring—before the weather really heats up.
• Consult your owner’s manual to see how your system works. With today’s automatic systems, the quickest cooldown comes by setting the temperature as low as it will go at first, then adjusting it later.
• Newer models have cabin air filters that clean the air entering the heating and air-conditioning system. Check your owner’s manual for location and replacement interval.
• If possible, slightly lower the windows on hot days to reduce heat buildup in a parked car. Your air conditioner works by removing heat and humidity, so the cooler the interior, the easier and faster the A/C can do its job.
• When you return to a hot, closed car, open windows or doors to vent the hot air before turning on the system.
• If your cool air smells musty, set the system to the “outside” air mode.
Serious air-conditioning issues should be addressed by a professional service facility with the proper tools, training and parts. For example, ACDelco Professional Service Center Program technicians have access to top-quality ACDelco AC compressors, accumulators/driers, blower motors, condensers, filters, refrigerant, evaporators and engine- cooling motors.
For your additional peace of mind and assurance, the company’s parts and labor are covered by a 24-month/24,000-mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty.
For further facts and tips and to find the nearest provider, visit www.acdelco.com. North American Precis Syndicate