Jessica Lucila “Gigi” Reyes on Friday voluntarily surrendered to the Sandiganbayan less than an hour after the anti-graft court issued a warrant of arrest against her in connection with a P172-million plunder case.
Reyes, a co-accused of her former boss, Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile, arrived at the Sandiganbayan’s Sheriff’s office a little past 4:30 p.m.
Her lawyer, Anacleto Diaz, said Reyes will not ask to be a state witness in the case.
“No. Absolutely no. As far as we are concerned, there is no wrongdoing [committed by her],” Diaz told reporters.
It was not known if Reyes would be taken later to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Custodial Center in Camp Crame for detention because the court had not issued a commitment order.
Reyes, a lawyer, resigned as Enrile’s chief of staff last year after defending Enrile’s decision to grant huge Christmas bonuses to senators.
She then left for the United States when reports surfaced and linked her to the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel scam.
Reyes returned to the country last April 19, saying she was determined to face the charges and clear her name.
“She is okay. She is anxious about the case… it has been hovering in her mind for quite some time. She came back to face these cases and she has done it with a lot of courage,” Diaz said.
Reyes had filed a motion to stop the court from pursuing her case. But Associate Justice Alex Quiroz of the Sandiganbayan’s Third Division said only the Supreme Court can prevent Reyes from standing trial.
Diaz had argued that the court proceedings against Reyes must be stopped because she had a pending petition at the Supreme Court for a restraining order and a writ of preliminary injunction.