• UPDATE 4: ‘Glenda’ smashes into Luzon, leaves 14 dead




    “Glenda,” the first strong typhoon to hit the Philippines this year, shut down Metro Manila when it slammed into Luzon on Wednesday, killing at least 14 people and forcing hundreds of thousands to evacuate.

    Two of the reported deaths were in Metro Manila. Some of the victims were crushed to death by falling trees and electric posts.

    The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said two of the fatalities — Lourdes Lim, 25, of Allen, Samar, who was killed after being hit by a falling electric post and Reynaldo Meneses, 49, who was crushed to death by a falling acacia tree in Barangay Tabang, Plaridel town, Bulacan.

    Winds gusting to almost 200 kilometers an hour tore roofs off houses, overturned cars and ripped trees out of the ground in Metro Manila, as well as remote fishing villages hundreds of kilometers away.

    Falling trees, poles and walls killed at least 11 people across the northern parts of the Philippines that the storm swept over, authorities said.

    In Cavite, three persons including a senior citizen, 22-year-old man and an 11-month-old baby girl were killed.

    The 22-year-old victim died after being hit by a falling post while the senior citizen was crushed to death when hit by a tree while the infant died after being hit by debris from a collapsing retaining wall.

    No other details were immediately available except all three victims died on the spot.

    In Lucena City, Quezon, three people all surnamed Artificio were crushed to death after they were hit and trapped by a falling wall.

    Electricity was cut off in Metro Manila as the typhoon passed just south of it.

    The Department of Energy (DOE) said that as of Wednesday night 60 percent of Metro Manila had their electricity back.

    Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho Petilla said that although they are still in the process of assessing the damage from the typhoon, power was immediately restored on Wednesday in areas where transmission lines were not affected by the typhoon.

    “As of one hour ago (around 6 p.m.) the transmission lines in Metro Manila has been completed. Meralco should be ramping up now,” Petilla told The Manila Times in a text message.

    Earlier the Energy chief said they expect that power in 60 percent of Metro Manila will be restored between 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

    Close to 5,000 passengers, 463 rolling cargoes, 46 vessels and 66 motor boats were stranded in major ports because the seas were considered too dangerous for travel.

    The 4,927 stranded passengers were in seven regions, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) public affairs office said on Wednesday.

    The regions are the National Capital Region (NCR), Bicol, Southern Tagalog, Western Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Eastern Visayas and Palawan.

    The Coast Guard said 350 passengers were unable to board vessels in North Harbor in Manila.

    In the Port of Lamao in Limay, Bataan, the MT Saulito was not allowed to sail, and in Laguna there were two stranded motor bancas.

    In Bicol, 1,298 passengers were stranded in Pio Duran; Albay (99); Bulan, Sorsogon (20), Pilar, Sorsogon (96), Matnog, Sorsogon (1,011), Virac, Catanduanes (3), Bapor, Masbate (33), Cataingan, Masbate (8), Pasacao, Camarines Sur (14); Tamban, Camarines Sur (14).

    In Southern Tagalog, 2,035 passenger were stranded in Batangas (1,439), Mamburao (23), Calapan (458), and Lucena (115).

    In Western Visayas 627 passengers were stranded in Caticlan (336), Iloilo (151), Bacolod (140), Roxas (10).

    In Northern Mindanao, 377 passengers had to stay put in Surigao (127), Osamiz (250).

    In Region 8,117 passenger were stranded. These passengers were from the Maasin port in Leyte (407), with a total of 49 stranded rolling cargoes and 3 stranded vessels.

    In Palawan, 123 passengers were stranded in Cuyo (87) and Coron (36).







    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    Comments are closed.