• ‘Govt can’t abandon peace pact with MILF’

    3

    Malacañang and the framers of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) agreed on Wednesday that the government cannot abandon its peace pact with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) even in the light of the corrosive Mamasapano massacre where more than 60 people died, including 44 members of the elite police Special Action Force (SAF).

    Naguib Sinarimbo, a member of the group that drafted the BBL, said it is the “obligation” of the government to abide by its agreement with the MILF, stressing that the rebel group need not “beg” just to see the fruition of their peace talks with the government.

    Narimbo, in his Facebook account, narrated briefly how they “labored hard” in achieving breakthroughs in the talks, particularly in coming up with the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) that was signed last year.

    The CAB is the precursor of the draft BBL that is now pending in Congress.

    “For us who labored hard in KL [Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] the issue is simple, comply with the provisions of the CAB and all agreements signed between the parties,” the lawyer said.

    He stopped short of giving a warning against those who have expressed the desire to amend certain provisions of the BBL, believing that doing so might “dilute” the bill.

    “The passage of a BBL reflective of signed agreements is an obligation of the government. The MILF need not beg for it,” said Sinarimbo, also a consultant for the United Nations.

    In Malacañang also on Wednesday, Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. gave assurances that both parties remain committed to the spirit of the BBL and all other agreements signed between the government and the MILF.

    “Let’s take note that the FAB [Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro)] and CAB are still in effect. There are principles that were signed and being espoused by both sides, including the ceasefire and the keeping of peace and security,” Coloma said in a news briefing.

    He explained that these agreements and commitments should not be affected by recent events, such as the deadly firefight in Maguindanao on January 25.

    Share.
    loading...
    Loading...

    Please follow our commenting guidelines.

    3 Comments

    1. The FAB and CAB is null and void it is signed by the traitors on the government side.The Republic of the Philippines doesnt negotiate with terrrorist.MILF is a terrorist and a criminal organization.That coward and traitor P-NOY is not the Republic of the Philippines,Need to establish a Transition government made up of civilian/military to sort out the best for the Country before P-NOY chopped it to pieces.No to BBL its a demon it will not work,abolish autonomous regions.

    2. Plain stupidity and idiocy …the majority of Filipinos don’t approve of this pact because what we’re dealing with are plain bandits and murderers and mercenaries….. if you cannot bring peace in Mindanao then we have to choose another set of negotiators who can do a better job