Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has scored the government for its failure to solve the housing problem in the country.
Marcos gave a failing mark to the lackluster performance of the government as far as its housing program is concerned during separate dialogues in the Bulacan city of San Jose attended by barangay (village) officials and in Norzagaray town, attended by a multi-sectoral crowd last Thursday where on both occasions, Marcos received thumbs up as the next Vice President of the Philippines.
Marcos noted that currently, there exists a 5.5 million housing unit backlog, attributing the shortage to insufficient funds being allocated by the government to the housing program.
“Ang problema sa housing ay simpleng simple lang, hindi pinopondohan. Walang pondong inilalagay para magpatayo ng bahay at ang kakulangan ngayon ng bahay sa buong Pilipinas ay 5.5 million units [The problem in housing is very simple, it is not being funded. There is a backlog of 5.5 million units],” he said.
Another miscue in the government’s housing program, according to the senator, is the absence of basic services in relocation sites.
He said a complete relocation program does not only entail the building of housing units but also the provision of very basic needs like water, electricity, schools, markets, access to transportation and jobs in the relocation areas.
While the senator had already expressed his preference to handle the Department of Labor and Employment or the Department of Transportation and Communications to put in order gargantuan problems hounding these agencies once he is already the Vice President, Marcos said he will not turn down a housing agency assignment if offered to him by the next President.