Govt, MILF to ‘stay the course of peace’

4

THE government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) peace panels have firmed up plans to ensure the passage of the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) under the next Administration, committing to “stay the course of peace” and jointly run after criminals and suspected terrorists.

Advertisements

They also renewed the mandate of the International Monitoring Team, citing the body’s effective monitoring of the implementation of the cessation of hostilities.

“This mechanism has proven time and again its importance in isolating and interdicting criminal syndicates/kidnap-for-ransom groups and terrorist groups operating in Mindanao,” they pointed out.

During a two-day special meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, both parties agreed to extend the mandate of the ceasefire mechanism until March 31, 2017.

In a joint statement, they said the agreement is part of efforts to “preserve the gains of more than 17 years of negotiations” and a means to advance the Bangsamoro peace process.

Commitment to peace

The panels headed by Miriam Coronel-Ferrer and Mohagher Iqbal of the MILF expressed disappointment over the non-passage of the BBL. However, they reaffirmed their commitment to the peace process.

“The Parties recognize that the non-passage of the BBL has adversely affected the timeline of establishing the Bangsamoro entity. They agreed that the means forward is the early passage of this legislation in the next Administration and Congress, which is a requirement for implementation of the significant aspects of the CAB (Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro), including the decommissioning of MILF weapons and combatants,” they said.

“Toward this end, the Parties shall exert further efforts to promote understanding and greater acceptability of the proposed basic law,” the statement added.

Ferrer and Iqbal reaffirmed their position that the agreement continues to provide a viable roadmap and comprehensive approach toward resolving armed conflict in Mindanao.

“The two Parties reaffirmed their commitment to stay the course of peace. They shall sustain the existing peace infrastructure. This infrastructure is fundamental in keeping the peace on the ground and supporting the implementation of the CAB. It is important that it remains functional for the next Administration to carry forward the implementation of the agreements,” they added.

Moving past BBL debacle

Earlier, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. directed the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process to map out their next moves in light of the BBL’s debacle. The meeting in Malaysia was the agency’s response to the directive.

The panels signed the Terms of Reference for the Joint Task Forces on Camps Transformation, including the creation of a working group to recommend to the Panels interventions for vulnerable sectors, including widows, orphans, people with disabilities, detainees and their families.

“The Parties discussed the updates provided by the Third Party Monitoring Team and the Independent Decommissioning Body. The Parties also agreed that the socio-economic package for the initial 145 decommissioned MILF combatants should continue.

Decommissioning

Meanwhile, the Parties discussed the security and storage of the turned-over weapons,” the statement added.

Last year, 145 MILF combatants were decommissioned and their firearms surrendered during the first phase of the decommissioning process. But because Congress failed to pass the BBL, the MILF is no longer obligated to “surrender” any of its forces and guns.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

4 Comments

  1. Did the MILF turn over their members wanted for the murder and execution of the wounded SAF 44 yet ? Is the MILF helping round up the other murderers from the other groups ?

    We know the Dept of Justice doesn’t appear to be trying to arrest anyone since the murder of the police happened a year ago and no one has been arrested yet.

    REPLY
    They have even refused turn in the guns they used when they massacred the 44 Mamasapano PNP SAC Heroes

  2. The name itself “MI LIBERATION F” is anti Filipino. Why talk to them. S2pid Deles, Ferrer and Aquino. Throw in jail these treacherous trio. They are the ones recruiting more terrorist to kill Filipinos by kowtowing to the MILF, killers of SAF 44.
    BS Aquino’s message to MILF > “KIll as many Filipinos as you wish, NO problem” Proof > BS Aquno’s military and police never chased the killer of SAF 44.

  3. Time and time again that I have experience these traitors massacred our soldiers because the military believed they can be trusted. I still remember Paticul, Sulu that these terrorist massacred General Bautista and his men in a peaceful meeting with Ushman Sali. All of them military died like the massacre of the fallen 44. To the military, do not trust these killers. They are like dogs and I do not consider them as human beings. Do not believe the government officials that there will be peace. There can only be peace when these terrorist dogs are dead.

  4. Peace and prosperity is achieved when there are no illegal guns in the hands bandits and terrorist. BBL peace talk what ever means guns for the terrorist. It is the illegal deadly weapons that creates death to poverty. S2pid peace talk. Moron Aquino, Deles and Ferrer. Confiscate illegal guns and kill anyone who who refuse to surrender his weapon.. No to armed terrorists. BBL is ampaw Aquino S2pidity. NO to mongoloid idea. Confiscate all lose guns in the hand of terrorist sect.