ROME: Greece was hit by a huge new surge in migrants as the United Nations Friday (Saturday in Manila) approved a European seize-and-destroy military operation against people smugglers in the Mediterranean.
The backing for EU navies to take action against traffickers in international waters came as the first asylum seekers were flown from Italy to Sweden under a hotly disputed relocation scheme to share the burden of Europe’s migrant crisis.
As the 19 Eritreans made their trip, new data emerged showing a massive surge in the number of migrants arriving in Greece to 7,000 from 4,500 a day at the end of September.
With 570,000 people having already arrived in the EU so far this year, the figures from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) underlined the limited scope of the relocation scheme, which seeks to move 160,000 refugees from Italy and Greece over the next two years.
Sweden alone expects to process 150,000 asylum applications this year, Prime Minister Stefan Loven said Friday, adding it may have to house some of them in heated tents.
The IOM said the surge in numbers arriving in Greece “may be due to expected worsening weather conditions”.
And the head of the UN’s refugee agency warned of a humanitarian disaster this winter unless Greece was given much more help to house the new arrivals.
“We know how to organize a camp, a tent or buildings for the winter but what we are not able to cope with is a massive wave of people moving every day. It is impossible. And with the (severe) winter weather in the Balkans there could be a tragedy at any moment,” UNHCR chief Antonio Guterres said.
Smiles and hugs
Grinning shyly before the media, the young Eritreans waved and blew kisses as they boarded a small propeller plane at Rome’s Ciampino airport after hugging members of the Red Cross and UNHCR.
Nearly seven hours after leaving balmy Rome, they touched down in temperatures of two degrees Celsius roughly 100 kilometers (60 miles) south of the Arctic Circle in northern Sweden before boarding a bus bound for an asylum seeker’s center in Ostersund.
Another of their countrymen was not so lucky: a 17-year-old was seriously injured after he apparently jumped on a Eurotunnel shuttle from France to Britain.
“Today is an important day for the European Union, it is a day of victory… for those who believe in Europe, for those who believed in saving human lives,” Italian Interior Minister Angelino Alfano had earlier told journalists in Rome.
The scheme launched on Friday was pushed through against the objections of several eastern European countries after France and Germany threw their weight behind it.
EU migration commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos said: “This is a tangible example of what we can do when we work together. We are nations of immigrants and we’ve made an important step forward.”