The Grand Prix of Boston group cleared a regulatory roadblock last week that will allow it to build the IndyCar race course on city streets, but several more issues lay ahead.
“The Public Improvement Commission’s approval of the petitions today are an important first step necessary to continue the dialogue and review of the potential impacts of the race,” said Mayor Martin Walsh in a statement. “I thank all of the members of the public who submitted feedback.”
Race organizers have told residents that they expect to host 50,000 people on Friday and 60,000 people on Saturday and Sunday of the Labor Day weekend race. The three-day race tickets — which would be refunded if the race stalls — are being sold even as the city and state have yet to issue permits for the September event.
A portion of the planned 2.2-mile (3.52-kilometer) racetrack through the Seaport runs over a toxic waste site, and race organizers must convince the Environmental Protection Agency that track construction will not disturb the contaminants in the soil.
The city said Grand Prix of Boston, the group organizing the race, still must complete all requests for review and approval from stakeholders that include city, state and federal environmental review, local traffic detour and deviation plans, and construction management plans.