MONACO: Lewis Hamilton oozed all the authority and skill of a champion on Thursday (Friday in Manila) as he marked the confirmation of his new three-year contract with Mercedes by dominating both opening practice sessions for this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The 30-year-old Briton, who was beaten into second place by his Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg at the Spanish Grand Prix two weeks ago, delivered a consummate performance in cool, treacherous and wet conditions on the unforgiving streets of the Mediterranean principality.
It was a perfect riposte to Rosberg’s revival and confirmed Hamilton’s intention to win Sunday’s classic 78-laps race and wreck his rival’s bid for a rare hat-trick of successive victories on his home town road track.
“It’s been great, a good day so far,” said Hamilton after completion of an afternoon session interrupted by a heavy rain shower and a red-flag following an accident when Roberto Merhi lost control of his Manor Marussia car at the exit of the tunnel. He hit the barriers, but was unhurt.
“You need to get on the pace quickly and find the time and be very specific with any changes you make,” said Hamilton. “And it is better not to make too many.”
Hamilton did one lap after the rain, in wet conditions, and said: “I think that the only thing I learned was that the white lines, which are painted black now, are slipperier than ever! This black paint is more slippery than the white. Other than that, you know, this is the hardest track to drive in the wet.”
Rosberg was second fastest at the end of the day by more than seven-tenths of a second ahead of four-time champion Sebastian Vettel and his Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
Rosberg, 29, who is 20 points behind Hamilton in the title race, survived a ‘moment’ during the morning’s opening session when he brushed the barriers at Tabac.
The incident ruined that lap and caused him to return to the pits, but left his car with no serious damage.