BAGUIO CITY: Kennon Road, so far the most preferred route from Baguio City to the lowlands, has been opened to traffic.
The move came after the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) was able to get through recurring landslides, particularly at the Uabac section along Camp 6, the site where two female passengers of a Baguio-bound van were killed and five were injured in a landslide on Monday, July 13.
Public works officials said they were able to open the main road to Baguio City after days of clearing it from rocks, boulders and soil. The clearing operations were slowed down by monsoon rains that battered Benguet province for the past two weeks.
Despite its opening, however, disaster officials are advising motorists to still take the Marcos Highway route, which is longer than Kennon road but remains to be a much safer route.
Meanwhile, the DPWH in the region said the Abra-Ilocos Nore road particularly at Kilometer 424-450 at Abaquid, Danglas town was closed to traffic because of landslides.
The Baguio-Itogon road, particularly at Kilometer 261-330 in Sitio Goldfield, Polbacion in Itogon and the Gurel-Bokod-Kabayan-Buguias road were also also closed because of landslides particularly at Kilometer 340-342 in Sitio Suysuyan, Itogon.
Motorists were advised to use Marcos Highway as the safest way to Baguio City.