The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) on Friday followed the advisories issued by the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Canada against traveling to parts of the Philippines.
Hong Kong’s Security Bureau reiterated its black outbound travel alert (ODA) to the Philippines, citing the botched rescue attempt during the 2010 Manila hostage-taking incident and the warning issued by the United States to its citizens.
The hostage-taking incident in Luneta, Manila left eight Hong Kong tourists dead, as well as their hostage-taker, a dismissed police officer.
“The US Embassy in Manila issued a message to US citizens in the Philippines warning against a credible kidnap threat against foreigners in the Zamboanga area on the island of Mindanao,” the advisory said.
Earlier this week, the US, Britain, Australia and Canada issued separate travel advisories against traveling to southern Philippines because of the continuing threat of terrorism there.
Their advisories also cited the prevalence of kidnapping, and the threats to Westerners and Western interests.
Aside from the Philippines, Hong Kong also placed Syria under the black travel alert.
The Department of Foreign Affairs, on the other hand, said there are no specific threats to the areas mentioned in the advisories.