IF you ever have a problem with weak, damaged or unsightly nails, you may be glad to know the solution can be at your fingertips—if you heed these six helpful hints.
- Schedule regular manicures. Regular care with manicures and pedicures at the salon can help you have lovely, healthy nails. It’s important to take the time to maintain desired length, banish unwanted cuticles and balance the nail’s natural condition.
- Avoid water. Believe it or not, water is one of the nail plate’s worst enemies. When possible, keep nails coated to provide protection from the elements and lock in valuable oils that keep nails healthy.
- Remove cuticle, but don’t cut it. Never have your manicurist cut the living tissue surrounding your nails. “It’s important to realize that the living skin at the base of the nail plate is not the cuticle,” says industry expert Doug Schoon. “This skin is called the eponychium, even though it’s usually the first place people will point to when asked to identify the cuticle.” Keep clippers away from your eponychium to avoid hardened skin, ragged edges and potential for infection.
- Keep nails conditioned and moisturized. A conditioning cuticle oil “waterproofs” the nail plate and keeps surrounding skin supple and conditioned. This daily conditioning ensures the proper moisture and oil balance for tough, resilient nails. Apply a cuticle oil twice daily to maintain flexibility and prevent the nail plate from becoming dry and brittle.
- Don’t pick, peel or scrape. One thing that can damage the natural nail is mechanical force. This means excessive filing on the edge or surface of the nail, as well as peeling or scraping polish from your nails, which can actually remove the top layer and create visible damage.
- Repair damaged nails. If you already have nail damage, take a break from polish and try CND’s RescueRXx Daily Keratin Treatment, a highly effective new product that repairs damaged nails with the power of keratin protein and conditioning jojoba oil. This special treatment re-deposits solubilized keratin protein to the surface of damaged and weakened natural nails. Jojoba oil, a light penetrating oil, conditions the nail plate and surrounding skin to deliver moisturizing benefits, while sweet almond oil moisturizes and softens the skin.
With daily use, peeling, splitting and white spots are dramatically reduced for healthier, more beautiful nails.
In clinical trials, 80 percent of participants noticed improvements after a week and 80 percent said white spots were less noticeable. After four weeks, participants saw an 80 percent decrease in peeling and 73 percent decrease in splitting.
For best results, apply RescueRXx to bare natural nails twice daily for up to four weeks, massaging into the entire nail, nail edge and cuticle.
You can find further facts on nails, including where to get this treatment, online at www.cnd.com.
North American Precis Syndicate