DUTERTE’S FINAL ANSWER

I’m not running for President

7

“The country does not need me. I find no need for it.”

Advertisements

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte made the statement on Monday, the first day of the period of filing of certificates of candidacy for the 2016 election, as he once again attempted to dash the hopes of his supporters that he will reconsider his decision not to run for higher office.

“After all, there was no ambition for me to aspire for the presidency,” he said in a news briefing.

A footage of his speech was uploaded on the ABS-CBN news website.

“I guess it is faith against will that this journey together should end this way,” Duterte said.

The 70-year-old mayor, known for his iron-clad action against criminality and illegal drugs, made it to national headlines after he started to embark on a nationwide speaking tour purportedly to espouse a shift to the federal form of government last year.

Observers as well as his supporters took this to mean as Duterte’s way of gauging his popularity as a probable candidate for a national elective position.

His announcement on Monday was a repeat of his announcement last September.

“I’m sorry to all of you, I will retire after my term as a mayor of Davao City,” Duterte said
in a news conference that preceded a rally at the Rizal Park (Luneta) in Manila where thousands of his supporters showed up asking him to reconsider his decision.

Speculations that the mayor has backtracked went into overdrive after two would-be candidates for Vice President–Senators Alan Peter Cayetano and Ferdinand Marcos Jr.–visited him in Davao City, with the former admitting that he wanted to become Duterte’s running mate.

As what he said last September, Duterte cited the opposition of his family to the idea.

“If Inday Sara agrees to run for mayor, I will retire at the end of my term in 2016. If she does not, the option again to be mayor is on the table. When all is said in the wake of this decision, perhaps you can find comfort in the thought that this indeed, this is indeed a beautiful day to end a wild dream,” he said as he referred to his daughter whom he replaced as mayor in 2013.

Share.
loading...
Loading...

Please follow our commenting guidelines.

7 Comments

  1. If Sen.Alan Peter Cayetano didnt file his coc as vice President yet he should step up and run for President instead now that Mayor Duterte decided not to run for President.The only one that got vision and plan for a better Philippines.

  2. My hope was up over the weekend hoping and praying that he would eventually run….. I guess I will have to leave the President slot for my ballot blank. Walang matinong mapagpipilian.

  3. he is happy being a mayor. more easier to manage than being a president a big headache especially for a country like ours. lol

  4. We should respect Mayor Duterte decision he got his own personal reason.Umurong na si manoy ayaw ng sumulong e wala na tayong magagawa.Lets move on to plan B.

  5. sino kaya ang taong nasa likod nito? at ang tinatawag na bato ay lumambot!
    Matindi ang pressured na ginawa ,para lang sayangin ang halos anim na buwan ng pag-iikot sa buong pilipinas ,at pagkuha ng suporta ng mga tao !at ngayon sasabihin lang ng ganito na hindi siya kailangan ng bansa para maging pangulo?
    Hindi natin masisisi kung ang buong pamilya ang nakataya!katulad ng nangyayari sa pamilya binay! may sa pagkademonyo ang mga komokontrol ngayon ng gobyerno!
    Mala santo lamang kung magsalita kaya marami pa ring naniniwala!

  6. I’m a firm believer that should Duterte run for president , his chance is higher considering he can garner a big vote from Visayas and Mindanao.and with a good choice for Vice President let say Bongbong Marcos. He surely a sure winner with a 5 million solid north vote behind him plus many politician who are still closed to the Marcos family will try to carry vote for both of them. Sayang Lang Mayor Duterte wasn’t confident enough about what will God reward him in the future.