TOKYO: Embattled Japanese electronics firm Sharp is considering making a public share offering worth over 100 billion yen ($1.15 billion) early this year, a report said on Tuesday.
The public offering could take place in the spring, with the firm hoping to use the funds to strengthen its mainstay liquid crystal display (LCD) business and improve its creditworthiness, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper said.
Sharp has started talks with major creditor banks and wants to include the capital increase scheme in a mid-term business plan to be announced as early as February, the mass-circulation daily said without naming its sources.
The cash-strapped company said in December that it had struck a 9.9-billion-yen capital injection deal with US-based chipmaker Qualcomm as it moves to repair its tattered balance sheet.
The Qualcomm deal will see the pair jointly develop energy-efficient LCD panels for smartphones using the Japanese firm’s technology, with the US company initially getting about 2.64 percent of Sharp’s stock.
Japan’s battered electronics sector has suffered from a myriad of problems including a high yen, slowing demand in key export markets, fierce overseas competition and strategic mistakes that left its finances in ruins.
Sharp has suffered a series of credit rating downgrades and warned that it expects to lose about $5.6 billion in the fiscal year to March 2013.
The Osaka-based maker of Aquos-brand electronics has announced thousands of job losses while cutting wages for employees —from the factory floor to the boardroom — and selling real estate to shore up its balance sheet.
Sharp said last year that it had reached a capital injection deal worth about $800 million, with Taiwan’s Hon Hai Precision, which makes Apple gadgets in China, but the deal stalled as Sharp’s share price nosedived.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Business News | Hits:73
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter
Philippine factory output in November 2012, as measured by Volume of Production index (VoPi), slightly moved up at a slower growth rate of 9.6 percent, according to the results of the Monthly Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Business News | Hits:76
By : Madelaine B. Miraflor Reporter
Investors continued to consolidate their assets and cash in on their gains on Wednesday, making the index fall 60 points away from the 6,100 mark. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Business News | Hits:80
By : Madelaine B. Miraflor
The Department of Energy (DOE) has signed five of 11 coal contracts under the Philippine Energy Contracting Round 4 (PECR4), which will let investors acquire and develop coal power sites that the agency has offered. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Business News | Hits:60
Good news, they are aplenty! Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Top Business News | Hits:56
By : James Konstantin Galvez Reporter
The country’s biggest miner on Wednesday said that it will cooperate with the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) over penalty the government imposed from a tailings spill at the company’s Padcal mine in Benguet province. Read more