checkmate

Dreamliner not losing buyers

SINGAPORE: Airlines in Asia and Europe on Wednesday said that they stood by their Dreamliner orders, expressing confidence in Boeing’s latest plane after it was grounded by Japan’s two biggest carriers for safety checks.



The precautionary move in Japan came after an All Nippon Airways Dreamliner on a domestic flight made an emergency landing from a faulty battery and smoke, the latest in a string of safety scares for the next-generation 787. Aviation regulators in the United States, Japan and India have launched probes but Boeing insists the plane is safe. And airlines that have bet big on the plane quickly expressed confidence that the firm would resolve any issues.

British Airways, which has 24 Dreamliners on order, reaffirmed a statement from last week that it was “committed to taking delivery of the aircraft.” Scoot, a budget long-haul unit of Singapore Airlines, said that there was no change to its order for 20 of the high-tech aircraft.

“Boeing has kept us fully informed about the performance of the 787 since we committed to acquire the aircraft,” the company said in a statement.

Korean Air, which has 10 B787-9 planes on order, said thatt it carried out stringent tests before putting any new aircraft into service and it still intended to operate the Dreamliner from late 2016.

Top Business News

November 2012 factory output up 9.6%

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Business News   |  Hits:71
By : Mayvelin U. Caraballo Reporter

Philippine factory output in November 2012, as measured by Volume of Production index (VoPi), slightly moved up at a slower growth rate of 9.6 percent, according to the results of the Monthly Read more

Local stocks extend consolidation

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Business News   |  Hits:74
By : Madelaine B. Miraflor Reporter

Investors continued to consolidate their assets and cash in on their gains on Wednesday, making the index fall 60 points away from the 6,100 mark. Read more

Five coal contracts for PECR4 signed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Business News   |  Hits:79
By : Madelaine B. Miraflor

The Department of Energy (DOE) has signed five of 11 coal contracts under the Philippine Energy Contracting Round 4 (PECR4), which will let investors acquire and develop coal power sites that the agency has offered. Read more

The great thing about good news

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Business News   |  Hits:59

Good news, they are aplenty! Read more

Philex to cooperate in payment of P1-B fine

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : Top Business News   |  Hits:54
By : James Konstantin Galvez Reporter

The country’s biggest miner on Wednesday said that it will cooperate with the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) over penalty the government imposed from a tailings spill at the company’s Padcal mine in Benguet province. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC