Dreamliner not losing buyers
SINGAPORE: Airlines in Asia and Europe on Wednesday said that they stood by their Dreamliner orders, expressing confidence in Boeing’s latest plane after it was grounded by Japan’s two biggest carriers for safety checks.
The precautionary move in Japan came after an All Nippon Airways Dreamliner on a domestic flight made an emergency landing from a faulty battery and smoke, the latest in a string of safety scares for the next-generation 787. Aviation regulators in the United States, Japan and India have launched probes but Boeing insists the plane is safe. And airlines that have bet big on the plane quickly expressed confidence that the firm would resolve any issues.
British Airways, which has 24 Dreamliners on order, reaffirmed a statement from last week that it was “committed to taking delivery of the aircraft.” Scoot, a budget long-haul unit of Singapore Airlines, said that there was no change to its order for 20 of the high-tech aircraft.
“Boeing has kept us fully informed about the performance of the 787 since we committed to acquire the aircraft,” the company said in a statement.
Korean Air, which has 10 B787-9 planes on order, said thatt it carried out stringent tests before putting any new aircraft into service and it still intended to operate the Dreamliner from late 2016.
