PARIS: General Motors (GM) has scrapped plans to merge its German unit Opel with France’s PSA Peugeot Citroen because of the latter’s mounting financial woes, a news report said last week.
“GM gave up in early November on the merger plan between Opel and PSA Peugeot Citroen’s auto division,” French financial newspaper La Tribune said on its website, citing “a well-informed French source.” The source told the paper the prospective deal was “suspended, to say the least, and in all likelihood buried.”
Instead of a merger, the carmakers will pursue a more limited partnership in four specific areas, which they had already announced on October 24, La Tribune said.
The companies had already announced in February that GM was taking a 7-percent stake in PSA Peugeot Citroen as part of a “strategic alliance.” Neither company had confirmed or denied plans for a full merger.
GM said last week that plans for the alliance were still going forward.
“The alliance between GM and PSA is progressing as planned. We are fully focused on earning the benefits from the alliance that we have identified,” said GM spokesman Greg Martin.
A PSA Peugeot Citroen spokesman said; “It’s one rumor after another. We will not make any more comments. On October 24, we announced four projects with GM. Today, we are concentrating on carrying out those projects.”
The proposed merger, the subject of much speculation in the French, German and US financial press, was aimed at combining the two carmakers’ supply chains and enabling them to jointly produce components such as chassis. With the European car market in the doldrums due the eurozone debt crisis, manufacturers are faced with heavy losses and overcapacity.
Peugeot, where sales fell by 3.9 percent in the third quarter to $16.4 billion, announced in July that it intends to cut 8,000 jobs.
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:306
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

Joey Almeda (left) and Jotle Viray appear ready to put in yet another 1,200-kilometer stint on the saddle. BECAUSE it is there. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:225
By : AFP

Carlos Sainz is out. CALAMA, Chile: Former Dakar Rally champion Carlos Sainz saw his 2013 title bid grind to a halt late last week on the sands of Chile as he admitted he may never return to take on the grueling event. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:274
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

GOD bless parking assist. In Metro Manila where parking spots are tight, poorly lit and marked, and usually come with pesky beggars, this gizmo is as useful to driving as a spoon and a fork are to eating. Yes, you can do without them, but chance... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:189
By : RUBEN D. MANAHAN 4TH REPORTER

HELPING those in need, promoting safe and responsible driving, and maintaining the sophisticated image of the German marque over which they profess affection for are the key elements behind the existence of BMW Car Club of the Philippines (BMWCC... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:165
By : FAST TIMES
NISSAN Motor Phils. Inc. (NMPI) announced it is starting 2013 with the official introduction of Nissan’s best-selling global sedan, the Almera, which will be launched tomorrow as NMPI’s entry in the country’s highly competitive small-car segment. Read more