DOMESTIC auto parts manufacturers recently lauded what they perceive as the government’s renewed efforts against smuggling of used vehicles after the Court of Tax Appeals (CTA) convicted an auto trader who had declared his vehicle shipment as replacement truck parts instead.
The move followed the Bureau of Customs’ (BOC) Run After The Smugglers campaign, and is the first conviction of its kind.
“We hope that the current administration continues its drive against vehicle smuggling so that the Philippine automotive and parts making industries may finally take off,” said Motor Vehicle Parts Manufacturers Association of the Philippines (MVPMAP) President Ferdinand Raquelsantos in a statement.
Records showed that in February 2008, the BOC charged a trader for declaring a shipment as containing used truck replacement parts when these were discovered as used sports-utility vehicles. The vehicles found were six Kia Sportages and three Hyundai Gallopers.
The shipment, according to Raquelsantos, is prohibited under Executive Order No. 156.
On December 12, 2012, the CTA ruled that the trader is guilty of violating the Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines, and now faces a jail term of not less than eight years and one day to 12 years, as well as pay an P8,000 fine.
Raquelsantos said the development “bodes well for the much-suffering domestic auto industry.”
He cited that in 2011, some 57,000 units, or 26 percent of the total registered new vehicles with the Land Transportation Office, were from the so-called informal or used car sector.
“The effect is that local auto manufacturing suffers. Affected are some 70,000 workers; 30,000 in vehicle assembly including downstream and upstream industries and 40,000 in parts manufacturing,” Raquelsantos said.
“The Philippine auto industry really needs a shot in the arm. We are hoping that this renewed government initiative against auto smuggling is the shot that will help revive our ailing domestic auto and parts making industries,” he added.
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:305
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

Joey Almeda (left) and Jotle Viray appear ready to put in yet another 1,200-kilometer stint on the saddle. BECAUSE it is there. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:223
By : AFP

Carlos Sainz is out. CALAMA, Chile: Former Dakar Rally champion Carlos Sainz saw his 2013 title bid grind to a halt late last week on the sands of Chile as he admitted he may never return to take on the grueling event. Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:273
By : BRIAN AFUANG MOTORING EDITOR

GOD bless parking assist. In Metro Manila where parking spots are tight, poorly lit and marked, and usually come with pesky beggars, this gizmo is as useful to driving as a spoon and a fork are to eating. Yes, you can do without them, but chance... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:189
By : RUBEN D. MANAHAN 4TH REPORTER

HELPING those in need, promoting safe and responsible driving, and maintaining the sophisticated image of the German marque over which they profess affection for are the key elements behind the existence of BMW Car Club of the Philippines (BMWCC... Read more
Published : Tuesday January 15, 2013 | Category : Motoring News | Hits:165
By : FAST TIMES
NISSAN Motor Phils. Inc. (NMPI) announced it is starting 2013 with the official introduction of Nissan’s best-selling global sedan, the Almera, which will be launched tomorrow as NMPI’s entry in the country’s highly competitive small-car segment. Read more