checkmate

Derek talks about the ABS-CBN ‘snub’

Even the mention of Derek Ramsay’s name is not allowed on ABS-CBN; still the box office actor is open to doing another film with Star Cinema after Secret Affair

 

 

 

For those who’ve first seen the trailer of A Secret Affair, on ABS-CBN,  it might seem that it is Anne Curtis and Andi Eigenmann having illicit liaisons. But this is not the case, because they do have a leading man. Derek Ramsay has just been “creatively spliced” from the trailer.


Just like the main villain Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies, Derek has become “he who must not be named” after the network even banned the mention of his name in promos.

This was confirmed by Anne Curtis at the latest press conference of the movie. Specifically asked if she was told not to mention Derek’s name when she promotes the movie on her daily noontime show It’s Showtime, Anne said, “Opo.”

“Anong magagawa ko, di ba?” Anne told reporters. “I mean, in the beginning, yes, I was frustrated
of the thought that I couldn’t even say the name of my leading man on Showtime. But, at the end of the day, that’s the way it’s supposed to be.

“I mean, they have their own reason so I have to respect that, bilang nagtatrabaho lang po ako doon [ABS-CBN]. So, ayoko na lang to imbibe the negativity, di ba? I just think about the positive na
lang, and all-out na lang on other channels.”

Derek himself admitted he was initially upset when he learned about the situation, but said he respected his former network’s decision.

“At first, I was a little bit upset, but I wasn’t mad. Like Anne said, I’m sure they have their reason. What can I do? I respect the decision. Like Anne said, we will just focus on the other channel or other promos.

“It’s sad, because I treated them like family. I still do. It hurts. But what can I do? I just want to respect the decision that they made.”

The day after the press conference, The Manila Times again caught up with Derek, who was headlining an event for the vitamin brand Pharmaton.

Derek said he was happy that Anne had his back despite his transfer to TV5, despite her being an ABS-CBN talent.

“It’s really touching that even if she was given strict instructions that she can’t mention my name, she still did in some sort of way. It’s really touching that she did that,” he added.

Derek reiterated that deciding to move to the Kapatid network was a tough decision but that he went through the right process and never hid anything.

“I let them [ABS-CBN] know. I was honest to them from day one.”

Derek said he’d like to believe that it was just an issue that was made up, because he has a lot of respect for his former network.

“I don’t want to think it’s coming from them. I want to think that this was an issue that was created.

That’s how I’m gonna think of it because I have a lot of respect for ABS-CBN because of what they did for me,” he elaborated

Besides his transfer to a rival network, sources say the “snub” was also a consequence of Derek turning down the lead role for The Mistress.

But when asked if he’s still willing to work with Star Cinema in the future, Derek said, “Of course, as long as it’s a good script and I like it, why not? I wouldn’t be where I am if it wasn’t for them.”

Directed by Nuel Crisostomo Naval from a story and screenplay Mel Mendoza-del Rosario, the movie also boasts of a stellar supporting cast led by veteran actors Joel Torre, Jaclyn Jose and Jackie Lou Blanco. It also features Say Alonzo, IC Mendoza, Shy Carlos, Petra Mahalimuyak, and Ge-Ann Abraham.

Controversies aside, the reception to the movie had been very positive; since its trailer was released on September 26 via YouTube. It has already hit over 1 million views in a span of two weeks. It was also included in the list of YouTube’s trending videos alongside popular foreign videos. On October 10, Viva Films released a sexier “uncut” trailer, which quickly reached several hundred thousand views.

A Secret Affair opens on October 24 in theaters nationwide.

Showtime

A happy Heart

Published : Friday January 11, 2013   |  Category : showtime   |  Hits:1054
By : TESSA MAURICIO-ARRIOLA LIFESTYLE AND ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR

A happy Heart

With leading man Geoff Eigenmann     No matter which way you look at Heart Evangelista these days, there is no doubt that one of the most beautiful faces of Philippine show business is simply happy. Read more

Eye on Meg

Published : Friday January 11, 2013   |  Category : showtime   |  Hits:668
By : TESSA MAURICIO-ARRIOLA

Eye on Meg

Meg Imperial sheds her teenybopper image on TV in a bid to be the movie industry’s next sexy star FHM’s December 2012 cover girl in ‘Menor de Edad’ remakeJust as 19-year-old stunner Meg Imperial ended 2012 with a bomb as cover gi... Read more

Piolo Pascual turns 35

Published : Friday January 11, 2013   |  Category : showtime   |  Hits:890

Piolo Pascual turns 35

Piolo Pascual begins another blessed and busy year     Star Magic’s premiere actor Piolo Pascual has a lot to be thankful for as he celebrates his 35th birthday on January 12 and another promising start for the New Year. Read more

Bong Revilla set to conquer primetime with ‘Indio’

Published : Friday January 11, 2013   |  Category : showtime   |  Hits:427

Bong Revilla set to conquer primetime with ‘Indio’

Bong Revilla is the powerful warrior Indio     Fresh from the box-office success of his Metro Manila Film Festival entry Si Enteng, Si Agimat at Si Ako, Sen. Bong Revilla Jr. faces 2013 with his biggest showbiz project to date on tel... Read more

Hopes are high with TV5’s opening salvo

Published : Friday January 11, 2013   |  Category : showtime   |  Hits:367

Hopes are high with TV5’s opening salvo

Derek Ramsay is Kidlat     Is this the year TV5 will leave behind its no. 3 spot in the network war? The Manny V. Pangilinan media venture hopes so. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC