PHILIPPINE authorities warned the public on Sunday to take precautions for what could be the most powerful storm to hit the country this year.
Packing gusts of up to 220 kilometers (136 miles) per hour, Typhoon Pablo (international codename: Bopha) was 1,000 kilometers southeast of the Philippines as of Sunday morning and forecast to make landfall between on Tuesday and on Wednesday, the state weather bureau said.
Heavy rain from the advancing storm was expected to hit Central Visayas Region and the main southern island of Mindanao from on Sunday night, it said.
"This is a powerful storm, perhaps the strongest this year, and we enjoin everyone to take precautionary measures," the head of the country's civil defense office, Benito Ramos, told Agence France-Presse.
He said that local governments in the areas likely to be soaked by heavy rains had been advised to undertake precautionary evacuations if needed, though none has been ordered so far.
The Philippines is battered by about 20 typhoons a year, some of them destructive. Pablo is the 16th so far this year.
In August, nearly 100 people were killed and more than a million were displaced by heavy flooding caused by a series of storms.
Nineteen typhoons struck the country last year, of which 10 were destructive, leading to more than 1,500 deaths and affecting nearly 10 percent of the total population, according to the government.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:85
By : NEIL A. ALCOBER REPORTER
THE legal counsel of martial law human rights victims has chided the Philippine government, claiming that the biggest stumbling block for the compensation of the victims is the opposition from it and not from the Marcoses. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:65
By : WILLIAM B. DEPASUPIL
INCOMING chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Bautista vowed on Wednesday to bring down the insurgency problem to a negligible level before the end of his tour of duty or before the Aquino administration vows... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:70
By : JING VILLAMENTE
Employees of the Agrarian Undersecretary Felix Perry Villanueva, Finance Management Office (FMAO) officer-in-charge, stormed his office on Tuesday, to condemned the purported militarization of the department’s perimeter. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Nation | Hits:49
By : JOHN CONSTANTINE G. CORDON
EVEN if she is only holding an ad interim position in the Commission on Elections (Comelec), poll member Ma. Graciela “Grace” Padaca still believes that impeachment must first be initiated before she faces her corruption charge. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : Regions | Hits:65
By : Thom F. Picaña Correspondent
BAGUIO CITY: Inmates of the Baguio City jail are grateful for “virtual visitations,” which rolled out during the holiday season, giving them a chance to talk to their loved ones through the Internet. Read more