PHILIPPINE authorities have lifted a ban on six brands of South Korean noodles after government tests disproved earlier reports that they had unsafe amounts of a cancer-causing chemical, health authorities said.
The Food and Drug Administration said that health department tests found the noodles made by Nongshim Co. had safe amounts of the "benzopyrene" chemical, contrary to what had previously been alleged in some press reports.
"The test results have been reassuring as all benzopyrenes have been found below the limits . . . set for the recall advisory," the agency said in a statement posted on its website on Monday.
The Philippines had ordered the recall on October 31, drawing a formal complaint from the South Korean embassy that insisted that the noodles are safe to eat.
The embassy urged the Philippines to lift the noodle ban.
Benzopyrene is used in food dyes, and can upset stomachs according to scientists.
"Korean officials have offered assurance that the subsequent products of the affected brands are safe," the Philippine statement added.
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:102
By : AFP
MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:703
By : AFP
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:675
By : AFP
MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:814
By : AFP
BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:794
By : AFP
CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more