Puerto Rican boxing great Hector 'Macho' Camacho, shot in the head last week, was declared dead Saturday after being removed from a respirator, a doctor said.
His death brings a tragic end to a career that saw Camacho triumph in three weight classes but struggle with drugs and alcohol.
Camacho, who was 50, suffered a heart attack overnight Friday and doctors later disconnected him from life support equipment, said Dr. Ernesto Torres, director of Centro Medico de Rio Piedras, where the boxer was admitted after being shot Tuesday.
"There was nothing else we could do for him," Torres said.
Camacho had been declared brain dead on Thursday. His relatives were informed as soon as he was taken off life support Saturday, the doctor said.
Camacho's mother, Maria Matias, said Friday she accepted the doctors' opinion that the three-time world champion could not recover.
The ex-fighter was shot on Tuesday while in a car in San Juan outside a liquor store. The boxer's driver, Alberto Mojica Moreno, 49, was killed in the shooting.
It is not known if they were deliberately targeted or simply caught up in a random act of violence. The bullet damaged three arteries in Camacho's neck, crippling the flow of blood to his brain.
Camacho was one of the most colorful boxers of the 1980s, winning world titles at super lightweight, lightweight and light welterweight.
With a career record of 79-6-3 with 38 knockouts, he took on all comers, including big names Oscar De La Hoya, Julio Cesar Chavez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Felix Trinidad, Ray Mancini and Greg Haugen.
But battles with drugs and alcohol led to numerous brushes with the law outside the ring.
Earlier this year, US police charged him with child abuse for allegedly slamming his son into the floor at his ex-wife's home in Florida.
Torres said Camacho's organs cannot be donated because of the length of time he was kept on life support.
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:102
By : AFP
MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:703
By : AFP
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:675
By : AFP
MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:814
By : AFP
BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:794
By : AFP
CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more