MANILA: Philippine communist guerrillas offered to suspend attacks in typhoon-hit areas Thursday, as the military led efforts to look for hundreds of missing from a disaster that claimed nearly 500 lives.
"In light of the urgent humanitarian considerations, the (New People's Army) can suspend offensive military operations... for a period of time," the rebel group's parent organisation the Communist Party of the Philippines said.
A rebel statement said its forces would "raise funds, seek donations and contributions" for Typhoon Pablo's victims on the southern island of Mindanao, while its armed guerrillas would help in the relief work.
In reaction, military spokesman Colonel Arnulfo Burgos, said "if they really want peace and stability for our country for unhampered progress and development, they should abandon armed violence".
The armed forces are at the forefront of rescue and relief efforts after Tuesday's disaster, which killed 477 people and forced 250,000 others to seek shelter at government evacuation centres after losing everything.
The military estimates the NPA's current strength at about 4,000 fighters nationwide, significantly down from more than 26,000 at its peak in the 1980s.
The communists have been waging a rebellion since 1969, and more than 30,000 people have died in the conflict, according to the government.
The government opened peace talks with the CPP but negotiations were suspended in November last year due to continued rebel demands for the release of jailed comrades they claimed were consultants to the negotiations.
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:102
By : AFP
MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:703
By : AFP
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:674
By : AFP
MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:813
By : AFP
BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:793
By : AFP
CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more