checkmate

PH camps overflow with typhoon homeless

NEW BATAAN: Bruised and grieving survivors of a Philippine typhoon that killed nearly 500 people sought to pick up the pieces on Friday in crowded camps housing some of the 300,000 made homeless in the disaster.


About 2,000 people were huddled in a basketball gym in the southern town of New Bataan, one of only a few buildings left standing after Typhoon Bopha (local name: Pablo) ravaged the area, which is home to banana and gold mining industries.

With the overpowering stench of rotting corpses from the parking lot outside, farmer's wife Violy Saging, 38, tried to focus on the needs of her surviving children.

"It [the typhoon] snatched our life away. There is nothing left, but we are hoping our relatives or friends will take us in," she told Agence France-Presse.

The body of her eldest son Rodger, 15, was found wrapped around a coconut tree that he had climbed to flee the flash floods. Her three-year-old son, the youngest of three surviving children, has a high fever.
    
The concrete floor of the basketball court is streaked with mud. Part of the gym's roof was blown away by the cyclone, exposing the dazed survivors to both intermittent rain and the heat of the tropical sun.

Dry space along the few benches around the court is at a premium, and Saging's family shares a small area with an elderly couple who lost six children.

The Philippines' civil defense office said that more than 306,000 people had been left homeless by Bopha, the deadliest natural disaster this year for a country that is also hit regularly with quakes, floods and volcanic eruptions.

The figure had risen by 56,000 from Thursday's total, and Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said that the government had appealed for immediate international aid for food, tents, water-purification systems and medicines.

"People have no houses to go home to, so they are going to the evacuation centers for shelter and relief goods," Soliman told Agence France-Presse in Manila as she prepared to fly to the disaster zone with President Benigno Aquino 3rd.

Those lucky enough to be inside the New Bataan gym receive rice, instant noodles, and tinned meat.

But Soliman said that they faced being stuck there for months as the government finds flood- and landslide-free places to build new shelters.

Outside the gym, Medarda Opiso, 47, joined crowds with handkerchiefs pressed to their noses as they gingerly peeled away death shrouds covering faces and bloated bodies laid out on the pavement.

Soldiers have pulled scores of dead from under the rubble and body bags are running low. But many more are still missing, including Opiso's son's wife and daughter.

"My son is in despair. He is not talking to anyone. I am afraid he will lose it," Opiso said.

The son, farmer Gomer Opiso, had been tending to his crops when the wall of water and debris obliterated nearly the entire town of 48,000 people.

But amid the despair there were also some bittersweet reunions.

Lucrecio Panamogan, 74, found his grown children huddled together with their families in a devastated schoolyard two days after the storm.

"I thought I had lost them," he told Agence France-Presse, his tears welling up.

"We may no longer have a house, or any possessions, but we still have each other."

Breaking News

Philippines to regulate Internet election adverts

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:102
By : AFP

MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more

Brunei to seek S. China Sea code of conduct

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:703
By : AFP

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more

Philippine police rescue kidnapped Indian

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:674
By : AFP

MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more

Beijing choked by pollution at dangerous levels

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:813
By : AFP

BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more

Death toll rises as flu epidemic grips US

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:793
By : AFP

CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC