THE United Nations is set to launch a global appeal on Monday for aid for millions of Philippine typhoon victims as the death toll surged past 600, with nearly 800 people still missing.
UN Humanitarian Coordinator Luiza Carvalho will outline plans for an immediate aid package as well as long-term support for the southern region of Mindanao, hardest hit by Typhoon Bopha (local name: Pablo), UN spokesman for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Imogen Wall, said.
"Five million people were affected and they need express assistance," Wall told Agence France-Presse.
"Their priority needs are food, water and shelter but there's also a big emphasis on helping people's livelihood," she said.
"So many farmers have lost their crops and it's such a poor area. People need to earn money immediately and agriculture has to be rehabilitated," she added.
She declined to give an estimate of the needs of the hard-hit region, the center of both the country's banana as well as gold mining industries.
But she said that a number of villages were still completely cut off and not receiving any aid, a week after the typhoon struck.
The region would need sustained assistance for at least six months, she added.
Carvalho is due to outline the aid plans at 0730 GMT in Davao city, near the area worst hit by the typhoon.
The civil defense office in Manila said 647 corpses had been recovered after landslides and floods obliterated entire communities in the typhoon's path.
A total of 780 people are still missing, including about 150 fishermen from General Santos, the country's tuna capital, who had put to sea ahead of Bopha's landfall.
Civil Defense Chief Benito Ramos has said many of those missing could be among the hundreds of unidentified bodies, many of them bloated beyond recognition.
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:102
By : AFP
MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:703
By : AFP
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:674
By : AFP
MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:813
By : AFP
BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:793
By : AFP
CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more