THE death toll from the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines this year has climbed above 900, with hundreds still missing, the government said on Thursday.
Typhoon Bopha (local name: Pablo) killed 902 people mostly on the southern island of Mindanao, where floods and landslides caused major damage in nearly 2,000 villages on December 4, the civil defense office said.
A total of 615 people remain missing, it said, a big reduction from the previous tally after rescuers found 296 tuna fishermen who had put to sea before Bopha made landfall. The government agency did not give further details.
The typhoon, the deadliest natural disaster to hit the Philippines this year, destroyed 149,000 houses, it said.
About 80,000 people remain in government shelters, where they face months in difficult, crowded conditions as relief officials look for safe areas to build more permanent shelters.
Fifteen "stress debriefers" are now at work in the 63 shelters still in operation to help survivors come to terms with the loss of relatives, homes and possessions.
The United Nations launched a $65 million global aid appeal for typhoon victims on Monday, saying more than five million people faced difficult conditions as they seek to rebuild their lives.
The death toll from Bopha could top the 1,200 people who died last year when Tropical Storm Washi (local name: Sendong) hit Mindanao's north coast.
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:102
By : AFP
MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:703
By : AFP
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more
Published : Monday January 14, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:674
By : AFP
MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:813
By : AFP
BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more
Published : Saturday January 12, 2013 | Category : Breaking News | Hits:793
By : AFP
CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more