checkmate

Philippine rebels call for Aquino 'alliance'

MANILA:  Communist rebels said Thursday they have called for an "alliance" with Philippine President Benigno Aquino to undertake programmes aimed at ending a long insurgency that has killed tens of thousands.



There was no immediate official reaction to the reported offer, which chief rebel negotiator Luis Jalandoni said was made during "special track" talks in the Dutch city of The Hague on Monday and Tuesday.

"The 'special track' means the offer of alliance and truce offered by the National Democratic Front of the Philippines to the government of the Philippines," the exiled rebel told reporters in a statement.

Both sides would form a "Committee of National Unity, Peace and Development" to implement agrarian reform, rural development and national industrialisation, he added.

"On the basis of the above-mentioned points, a truce would be declared and implemented," Jalandoni said.

The National Democratic Front is a communist-led rebel coalition.

Teresita Deles, who advises Aquino on peace talks, told AFP she could not immediately comment on the supposed offer. Chief government negotiator Alexander Padilla was unavailable for comment.

Padilla had told AFP last year that the Philippine government had rejected the rebels' offer in 2005 of a "coalition" government.

Last year Manila also denied local press reports it was considering offering cabinet posts to rebel leaders including their exiled founder, Jose Maria Sison.

Jalandoni and Sison met Padilla in The Hague this week and agreed to a 26-day nationwide truce from December 21 and another meeting early next year, said a statement by Norway, which mediated the meeting.

Both the military and the communist party's guerrilla arm, the New People's Army, have declared a separate shorter ceasefire over Christmas.

The communists have been waging a rebellion since 1969 and more than 30,000 people have died in the conflict, according to the government.

Breaking News

Philippines to regulate Internet election adverts

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:102
By : AFP

MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more

Brunei to seek S. China Sea code of conduct

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:703
By : AFP

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more

Philippine police rescue kidnapped Indian

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:673
By : AFP

MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more

Beijing choked by pollution at dangerous levels

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:813
By : AFP

BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more

Death toll rises as flu epidemic grips US

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:793
By : AFP

CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC