checkmate

Boy killed, over 200 hurt in PH revelry

CELEBRATORY gunfire killed a four-year-old boy and over 200 others were injured by powerful firecrackers in typically rowdy New Year celebrations in Metro Manila, officials said on Tuesday.



A bullet hit the boy in the back as he was playing outside his home in Mandaluyong, said P/Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina.

He said that police launched an investigation to trace the gun owner but admitted it may take time in a country where unlicensed firearms are widespread.

"We caught 10 people firing indiscriminately, most of them were private security guards who were drunk," he said over dzBB radio.

Espina said that policemen found to have fired their guns to usher in the New Year would also be disciplined.

The Health department said that 214 people across the capital had been injured by firecrackers as of the early hours of Tuesday.

Among them was a teenage boy whose hand had to be amputated.

"He picked up what he thought was an unlit firecracker left on the road. It exploded in his hand," the boy's mother, Mariel Lou Pateno, said at the packed trauma section of one government hospital.

"We hope the numbers will not rise but we are expecting more to arrive within the day," Alfonso Nunez, one of the doctors at the hospital who worked through the night, told reporters.

An Agence France-Presse photographer saw two men in their 50s in hospital with burns to the eyes and face due to firecrackers.

The fire department said that 12 blazes were reported overnight, including a school that caught fire due to fireworks near a sprawling slum area in Manila.

No one was injured in the fires although dozens of families were left homeless, the fire department center said.

It is a tradition in the mostly Catholic nation of about 100 million to greet the New Year by making noise, in a belief it will drive bad spirits away.

However, hundreds are hurt annually by firecrackers and stray bullets, despite strict orders from President Benigno Aquino 3rd for police to clamp down on guns and ban powerful firecrackers.

Breaking News

Philippines to regulate Internet election adverts

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:102
By : AFP

MANILA, Jan 16, 2013 (AFP) - The Philippines is set to regulate Internet advertising in May mid-term polls as part of an effort to rein in campaign spending, an election official said Wednesday. Read more

Brunei to seek S. China Sea code of conduct

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:703
By : AFP

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei: Brunei will pursue a binding code of conduct among competing South China Sea claimants as a top priority during its ASEAN chairmanship, officials said Monday. Read more

Philippine police rescue kidnapped Indian

Published : Monday January 14, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:673
By : AFP

MANILA: Philippine police said Monday they rescued a kidnapped Indian businessman being held for ransom but not before his captors had cut off one of his fingers and sent it to his wife. Read more

Beijing choked by pollution at dangerous levels

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:813
By : AFP

BEIJING: Dense fog enveloped swathes of east and central China Saturday, with pollution levels in Beijing reaching dangerous levels for a second day and residents advised to stay indoors, state media said. Read more

Death toll rises as flu epidemic grips US

Published : Saturday January 12, 2013   |  Category : Breaking News   |  Hits:793
By : AFP

CHICAGO: The death toll from a flu outbreak gripping the United States has reached epidemic levels and it will be at least several weeks before the outbreak abates, health officials said Friday. Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC