
| Police investigators collect evidence from the site of a grenade explosion in Zamboanga City on Wednesday night. Authorities have arrested two men over the blast, which injured a boy.PHOTO BY AL JACINTO |
ZAMBOANGA CITY: Two people were killed and two others wounded following a bomb explosion on Thursday outside a hotel in Cagayan de Oro City. It was the second bombing in a span of two days in the southern Philippines, authorities said.
It said that the bomb was left near the Maxandrea Hotel in downtown Cagayan de Oro, but the motive of the explosion is still unknown. Among the wounded were policemen who were in the area to investigate the explosive.
No individual claimed responsibility for the blast, but police said that the improvised explosive device contained iron nails.
The latest explosion came a day after authorities arrested two men who exploded a grenade under a truck driven by a hotel owner in Zamboanga City.
Officials said that a boy, who was near the explosion, was hit by shrapnel and injured as policemen gave chase on the men who tried to escape on a motorcycle after the daring attack at an intersection just outside a military base.
Two other accomplices from the village of Mampang, believed to be hired killers, were also arrested following a subsequent police operation. The assailants lobbed two grenades, but only one had exploded under the truck, damaging two of its huge tires, officials said.
“Only one grenade exploded and we recovered the other one. No one among the four passengers were injured in the blast, but a boy who was watching cars, was injured and rushed to hospital,” a member of the police bomb squad told the The Manila Times.
He said that the passengers of the truck, including the owner of the Blue Shark Hotel, were uninjured from the attack, although shaken from the explosion.
The motive of the attack is also unknown and there appears no links to the Cagayan de Oro blast, but police has started its investigation to determine who ordered the failed assassination.
“There is an investigation going on and the arrest of the assailants will surely shed light as to the motive of the attack,” Army Colonel Buenaventura Pascual, commander of the anti-terrorist Task Force Zamboanga, said.
The attack occurred just as Zam-boanga is celebrating its feast of the Virgin Mary.
Gun attacks and killings are not uncommon and almost a daily occurrence in Zamboanga City. In one of the attacks, the president of a university was shot dead by motorcycle gunmen near his house.
Since January this year, there were over 100 killings so far and most of them are perpetrated by guns-for-hire who are actively operating in Zamboanga.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:745
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more