
| Nonito Donaire knocks down Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan with a punch in the sixth round during the WBO Super Bantamweight Title fight at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California. AFP PHOTO |
LOS ANGELES: Filipino champion Nonito Donaire defended his world super bantamweight titles by stopping Toshiaki Nishioka in the ninth round on Saturday, handing the Japanese boxer his first defeat in eight years.
Donaire, 29, knocked Nishioka down for the second time in the fight at 1:54 of the ninth round. Nishioka got up but his corner stepped in to stop the fight.
With the stoppage, Donaire (30-1, 19 KOs) retained his WBO and IBF super bantamweight titles and extended his own win streak to 29 contests.
“When you engage you open up,” Donaire said. “I can pick him apart and then the demolition man comes in to knock him out.”
The fight ended when Nishioka (39-5-3, 24 KOs) walked into a straight right hand from Donaire at the Home Depot Center stadium in Los Angeles.
Nishioka also went down with a minute left in the sixth round after being hit with two successive left hands inside.
Donaire dominated the fight, keeping Nishioka at a distance with left jabs and right hands to the body.
“We wanted to use my jab and use my speed,” Donaire said. “I wanted to open him up by timing that jab and that’s exactly what happened for me to be able to land that straight punch.”
In February, Donaire captured the vacant WBO 122-pound (55kg) title, winning a gritty split-decision battle over former world champion Wilfredo Vazquez. Five months later, he added the IBF title with a unanimous decision over Jeffrey Mathebula.
Donaire had won his previous three fights on points, so was pleased to stop his opponent. “I got the guy that I thought was best in the division. Everybody is free fall. Let’s go,” said Donaire.
Nishioka had been unbeaten for 16 contests going into the fight and the veteran 36-year-old from Tokyo had successfully defended the WBC 122-pound title seven times between 2009 and 2011.
Nishioka had not lost by knockout since the second fight of his career in 1995 and had not lost any contest since Thai star Veeraphol Sahaprom beat him in 2004.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:745
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more