checkmate

Austrian breaks sound barrier in space jump

This picture provided by www.redbullcontentpool.com shows Austrian pilot Felix Baumgartner jumping out of the capsule during the final manned flight for Red Bull Stratos on Sunday. AFP PHOTO





LOS ANGELES: Austrian daredevil Felix Baumgartner celebrated his unprecedented feat on Monday after becoming the first man to break the sound barrier in a record-shattering, death-defying freefall jump from the edge of space.


The 43-year-old leapt from a capsule more than 24 miles (39 kilometers) above the Earth on Sunday, reaching a top speed of 833.9 miles (1,342 km) an hour, or 1.24 times the speed of sound, according to organizers.

The veteran skydiver was in freefall for four minutes and 20 seconds before opening his red-and-white parachute and floated down to the desert in the US state of New Mexico, Red Bull Stratos mission record keeper Brian Utley said.

Mission control erupted in cheers as Baumgartner sprung from the capsule hoisted aloft by a giant helium-filled balloon to an altitude of 128,097 feet (39,044 meters), even higher than expected.

“I think 20 tons have fallen from my shoulders. I prepared for this for seven years,” he told German-language ServusTV in Austria in his first interview after the leap.

Referring to a helmet problem that nearly forced him to abort at the last minute, Baumgartner said: “Even on a day like this when you start so well, then there’s a little glitch. But I finally decided to jump.

“It was the right decision,” added the Austrian, who broke three records: the highest freefall jump, the fastest freefall speed, and the highest balloon flight by a human. He failed to make the longest freefall jump.

Shortly before leaping, in footage beamed live around the world on a crackly radio link recalling Neil Armstrong’s first words on the Moon, he had said: “Sometimes you have [to go] up really high to [understand] how small you are.”

After a perfect start, anxious viewers around the world looked on in agony as the Austrian started tumbling chaotically for what seemed like an eternity before finally achieving the correct position.

“The exit was perfect, then I started tumbling—I thought I’d get it under control, but then it really started. I really picked up speed, it got very violent. I thought for a few seconds I’ll fall unconscious,” Baumgartner said.

“Thank goodness, I managed to stop—it was very difficult. It was much more difficult than many of us expected,” he added.

Baumgartner also said that he wasn’t even aware of breaking the sound barrier.

“I didn’t feel the sonic boom, I think it happens behind you,” he said.

The Austrian took more than two hours to get up to the jump altitude. Baumgartner had already broken one record before he even leapt: the previous highest altitude for a manned balloon flight was 113,740 feet, set in 1961.

He had been due to jump from 120,000 feet, but the balloon went higher than expected.

One of the first people to congratulate him was Austrian President Heinz Fischer, who hailed the “great success.”

“Austria is proud of your accomplishment,” he wrote on his Facebook page.

Former National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut Leroy Chiao, speaking on the Cable News Network, said that he believed elements of the pressure suit used by Baumgartner would be “incorporated into future pressure suits that are used in spacecraft.”

The Red Bull Stratos mission was the second attempt of the skydiver after an initial bid on Tuesday was aborted at the last minute due to winds.

The biggest risk that Baumgartner faced was spinning out of control, which could have exerted excessive g-force and made him lose consciousness.

Temperatures of 90 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (minus 68 Celsius) could also have had unpredictable consequences if his suit somehow failed.

The helmet problem as Baumgartner ascended added to the sense of alarm: the heater failed on his faceplate, meaning that it became fogged up when he exhaled.

After considering the options, the nerveless Baumgartner and his entourage decided to go ahead with the jump.

Baumgartner’s 100-strong backup team includes retired US Air Force colonel Joe Kittinger, who held set the previous highest freefall jump record from 102,800 feet in 1960.

Baumgartner holds several previous records, notably with spectacular BASE jumps from the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.            

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:743
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC