checkmate

Cambodia’s former king dies of heart attack in Chinese capital

Norodom Sihanouk



PHNOM PENH: Cambodia’s revered and charismatic former king Norodom Sihanouk, whose life encompassed turbulent years of rule, exile and war, including the Khmer Rouge reign of terror, died on Monday in Beijing at the age of 89.


Sihanouk—who had been a frequent visitor to China, where he received most of his medi-cal treatment—died of a heart attack, accor-ding to his longtime personal assistant, Prince Siso-wath Thomico.

“It’s painful. I am full of sorrow,” Prince Thomico said of the former monarch who abruptly quit the throne in October 2004, citing old age and health problems.

“King Sihanouk did not belong to his family. He belonged to Cambodia and to history,” he told Agence France-Presse.

The royal, a keen filmmaker and poet whose six marriages lent him a reputation as a playboy, steered his country through decades of painful political and social convulsions, from independence to civil war and invasion.

Renowned for unpredictability, Sihanouk repeatedly switched allegiances as the political climate changed, including backing Khmer Rouge guerrillas before he himself was imprisoned by them.

The fanatical communist regime caused the deaths of up to two million people, including five of Sihanouk’s 14 children.

Sihanouk, who had fought a long battle with health problems that dogged his final years, including cancer, diabetes and heart problems, remained a staunch supporter of China. He saw it as a “second home” and spent much of his time there, accompanied by his devoted sixth wife Monique.

Cambodia woke to the news of their former monarch’s demise on the final day of the annual festival for the dead known as Pchum Ben, when most people leave the capital Phnom Penh to spend time with their families in the countryside.

His son, Cambodia’s current king Norodom Sihamoni, left for Beijing around mid-morning to collect his body, accompanied by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Both men were seen sobbing quietly as they greeted each other with an emotional embrace before boarding the plane as flags lining the airport building flew at half-mast.

In the capital, families flocked to temples to bring food and money offerings to Bud-dhist monks, honoring their dead ancestors who are believed to emerge to walk the earth during this time.

Young and old said that they would add the country’s beloved former king to their prayers.

Television stations broadcast footage of Sihanouk, who remains hugely popular in Cambodia, while social networking sites like Facebook buzzed with condolence messages and shared pictures of the late king.

No details have emerged yet about the funeral plans, although observers predicted a lavish affair.     

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:744
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC