
| Manny Pacquiao AFP FILE PHOTO |
POUND-FOR-POUND king Manny Pacquiao who’s supposed to leave for the United States last week to train for his fourth fight against his archrival Juan Manuel Marquez on December 8, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas is still in the Philippines.
“Negative,” Pacquiao’s long-time lawyer Franklyn Gacal told The Manila Times in a text message when asked if the champ’s scheduled flight to Los Angeles pushed through last week. “So far, there is no formal schedule yet when he will leave for the US. But I’m sure anytime within this month, Manny will go to US to start his training.”
Despite the delay, Gacal believes Pacquiao remains in good fighting condition because he regularly trains under his friend and coach Buboy Fernandez in General Santos City.
Though Gacal did not specify politics as the reason of the delay of the boxer’s flight to the US, Pacquiao is currently busy for his reelection bid as Saranggani representative in next year’s elections. His wife Jinkee is also running as Saranggani vice-governor.
A reliable source from the Pacquiao camp that has requested anonymity said that the boxer might leave the country next week or on October 27.
Meanwhile, Top Rank Promoter Bob Arum expressed dismay over the delay of Pacquiao’s training at the Wildcard gym under his chief trainer Freddie Roach.
“Manny has to decide whether he is a boxer or he’s a politician,” Arum, who wanted Pacquiao to be in the US at least by October 20, told philboxing.com.
“I would like him for the next two months to be a boxer and then the politics will take care of itself when he finishes the fight with Marquez. But that’s up to him.”
Pacquiao would have less than six weeks of training if he managed to go to the US by the 27th of this month.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:744
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more