checkmate

Pope commits Church to delicate mission in Syria

Syrian men rescue a person who was trapped in the rubble of the Nur al-Shuhada mosque after it was shelled by forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Thursday in the Shaar district of Aleppo. Pope Benedict XVI has dispatched a high-profile delegation to the country where Christians are divided on support for the rebels. AFP PHOTO






VATICAN CITY: Pope Benedict XVI has engaged the Catholic Church in pushing for peace in Syria by dispatching a high-profile delegation to a country where Christians are divided on support for the rebels.


Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, the pope’s right-hand man, announced Benedict’s move to a synod of bishops saying: “We cannot be mere spectators of a tragedy such as the one that is unfolding in Syria.”

Bertone said that the delegation would express the Church’s “encouragement to all those involved in seeking an agreement that respects the rights and duties of all, with particular attention to the demands of humanitarian law.”

It said that its members would also voice “fraternal solidarity with the entire population” and “spiritual closeness to our Christian brothers and sisters.”

The delegation is made up of top Vatican officials like Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, head of the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue.

There will also be leading prelates from three countries with experience of conflict: Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo and Vietnam.

Tauran told Vatican radio that “the gesture itself has significant important. We wanted the universal Church to be represented.”

Bertone said that “the only possible solution to the crisis is a political solution” and that the mission would likely take place some time next week.

Gregory III Laham, spiritual leader of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, said at the synod that the mission “goes above all the expectations” of Arab bishops, according to people present at the meeting of world bishops.

Syrian Catholics have traditionally been strongly in favor of President Bashar al-Assad’s secular regime, which defended their minority’s rights.

After the uprising against him began last year, Christians split between some who lent their support to the opposition and others who appeared to stay closer to the regime out of fear of a seizure of power by Islamists.

Lebanon’s Maronite patriarch, Bechara Rai, said earlier that this did not mean Christians were supporting Assad.

“To the Westerners who say Christians are supporting the Syrian regime, I say that Christians are with the state, not with the regime,” he said. “They want the stability of the country, not of the regime.”

The Vatican’s position for a long time seemed overly cautious to many observers as repression by the regime increased.

Vatican envoy to Damascus Mario Zenari has stuck to a balanced position, telling Vatican radio that “all sides in the conflict” should respect international humanitarian law which was falling apart “due to the fault of both warring sides.”

“We are shocked and profoundly pained and worried for the future,” he said in the August interview, adding that Christians in Syria should act as “bridge builders.”

Around 7.5 percent of Syria’s 20 million inhabitants are Christian. Many are concerned about an Iraq-style scenario in which they could come under threat if the regime of Assad collapses.

During his visit to neighboring Lebanon last year, the pope hailed the courage of young Syrians and called on Arab countries “to propose viable solutions” to the conflict but did not explicitly condemn the regime. He also called for a stop in arms supplies to the warring sides in Syria.

George Sabra, a Christian and spokesman for the Syrian National Council exiled opposition group, met with the pope last month and thanked him.

“His visit was a support for the cause of freedom. Christians do not need anyone to protect them,” he said in an interview with Vatican Insider.

Jesuit priest Paolo Dall’Oglio, who lived in Syria for many years to try to promote Christian-Muslim dialogue and was expelled for condemning the regime, said that he was satisfied with this “act of solidarity” but was still cautious.

“In Damascus they will only be able to meet with officials who are all more or less with the regime,” he said, adding that the prelates should meet refugees in Jordan and Turkey to show solidarity “with all Syrians”.

“The message could be exploited by Assad,” he warned.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:743
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC