checkmate

Nike cuts ties with Armstrong

Lance Armstrong AFP FILE PHOTO



LOS ANGELES: Nike, a company that identifies itself with sporting excellence, had no choice but to cut ties with Lance Armstrong in the face of a damning doping report, one sports business expert said on Wednesday.


David Carter, a sports business professor at the University of Southern California and executive director of USC’s Sports Business Institute, said that Nike could no longer afford to stand by Armstrong as it had other disgraced icons.

“I think because his indiscretion cut to the very heart of competition in sport, if he lacks that kind of integrity there’s no way a company like Nike can tolerate that,” Carter said.

Nike stuck with golf superstar Tiger Woods even as other sponsors dumped him in 2009 in the midst of a sex scandal that wrecked his marriage.

Nike also supported NBA superstar Kobe Bryant when he faced a sexual assault charge in 2003, which was eventually dropped.

NFL quarterback Michael Vick, vilified for his role in a dog-fighting ring, was dropped by Nike but resigned after serving a prison sentence and resuming his gridiron career.

“The other guys’ problems were off the field of play,” Carter said.

Nike had continued to support Armstrong in August, when the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) announced it was banning the Texan for life and stripping him of his seven Tour de France titles for doping infractions.

But last week, Usada issued a massive report detailing the basis for its sanctions, including sworn statements from 26 witnesses, 11 of them former Armstrong teammates who put him at the center of a sophisticated doping program while with the US Postal Service team.

“Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him,” Nike said in a statement, adding that the company would continue to support Livestrong, the charity the cancer survivor created to help those coping with the disease.

Armstrong stepped down as chairman of the foundation on Wednesday, a move that Carter said was necessary if the charity was to continue its mission.

“Obviously, Livestrong will always be associated with Lance Armstrong, but he can’t be the face of it,” Carter said. “He understands that.”

Daniel Borochoff, president of the non-profit watchdog CharityWatch, agreed that Livestrong’s future would depend on the organization distancing itself from the scandal.

“What the organization needs to do is separate Lance Armstrong and all the charges of doping against him from the organization, and this helps to do it,” he said. “The quicker they move away from him the better off they’ll be.”

Borochoff’s Chicago-based organization ranks Livestrong among its list of top-rated charities, based on criteria such as what percentage of the budget goes to programs.

“A lot of charities started by sports stars don’t amount to much . . . they can be poorly run—this is a good one. This is a good organization,” Borochoff said.

However, the fact that it is so closely identified with Armstrong could put off potential donors, even though Usada’s sanctions in August actually brought a spike in contributions.

“When a scandal happens, reality starts to seep in later with some of these constant reports and 1,000 pages of documents and so forth— people start to realize there is a problem here even if it was somebody’s hero,” Borochoff said.

Carter noted that a surprising number of disgraced athletes manage to rehabilitate themselves in the eyes of fans and sponsors.

Armstrong might be different, not only because he was already retired from top-flight cycling when he was banned but also because he has never admitted any wrongdoing.

“The only way they come back is when they take personal responsibility and accountability for what they’ve done,” Carter said.

“He has not taken responsibility.”

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:743
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:250
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC