checkmate

Lebanese police, protesters clash after funeral

Supporters of the March 14th anti-Syrian opposition coalition bring down barriers leading to Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s office following Gen. Wissam al-Hassan’s funeral on Sunday. AFP PHOTO





BEIRUT: Lebanese police clashed with protesters trying to storm Prime Minister Najib Mikati’s office in Beirut, amid calls for him to quit after a top security official was killed by a car bomb that was blamed on Syria.


Officers fired into the air and used tear gas to repel the demonstrators in the hours following Gen. Wissam al-Hassan’s funeral on Sunday.

The event had been billed as an opportunity to protest against Syrian meddling in Lebanon, but the mood quickly turned to anger at the premier, whose government is dominated by pro-Syria parties.

More than 15 members of the security forces were injured in the clashes with protesters outside the Serail, the prime minister’s office, according to a statement on Mikati’s website.

During funeral orations for the slain police intelligence chief, angry former premier Fuad Siniora called on Mikati to resign, adding his voice to many others since Hassan and two others were killed and 126 wounded on Friday.

Siniora, a leading member of ex-prime minister Saad Hariri’s opposition bloc, said that the government was responsible for the death of Hassan and his driver and should go.

After Siniora spoke, a man mounted the podium and cried: “Enough speeches, let’s charge the Serail.”

A policeman told Agence France-Presse that about 200 “young people headed toward the building in the city center, but security forces blocked them by firing into the air and using tear gas.”

Just hours after the funeral in central Beirut, heavy gunfire could be heard in a Sunni district of west Beirut.

Despite calls for him to quit, Mikati said that he will stay on, at President Michel Sleiman’s request, to avoid a “political vacuum” in volatile Lebanon.

The opposition has widely blamed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for Friday’s attack in the mostly Christian district of Ashrafieh.

It also holds him responsible for the 2005 assassination of Hariri’s father, ex-premier Rafiq Hariri, who was killed in a huge Beirut blast.

A banner on Sunday proclaimed “Two states, one revolution,” an allusion to the 19-month rebellion in Syria that has cost more than 34,000 lives.

After a military ceremony at Internal Security Forces (ISF) headquarters, the bodies of Hassan, 47, and his chauffeur were transported to Martyrs’ Square.

After the funeral at the huge Al-Amine Mosque, Hassan was buried in the mausoleum of his mentor, Rafiq Hariri, whose death sparked an outcry that forced Syrian troops to withdraw from Lebanon after three decades of occupation.

The probe into his death, led by Hassan, pointed the finger at Damascus.

Deadly fighting
Simmering tensions from the Syrian conflict has erupted into deadly fighting this year in Lebanon, where the Mikati government is dominated by pro-Damascus parties such as Hezbollah and its allies.

In the premier’s hometown of Tripoli, a girl was killed on Sunday after being caught in a crossfire between supporters and opponents of the Syrian regime, a medical official told Agence France-Presse. A security official earlier said that eight people were wounded.

A Sunni cleric was killed in Lebanon’s second-largest city overnight on Friday, also in a crossfire.

An Agence France-Presse correspondent said that tensions remained high in Tripoli, where armed men cruised the city in convoys and opened fire indiscriminately.

Lebanese troops deployed around Mikati’s Tripoli home as an opposition lawmaker from Saad Hariri’s parliamentary bloc pitched two tents near the residence, backed by dozens of supporters.

Elsewhere, young men angered by Hassan’s murder, some of them armed, cut off roads in the central Bekaa valley and along the coastal highway to south Lebanon.

Earlier, Martyrs’ Square was dotted with huge billboards praising Hassan and calling him “a martyr for truth and justice.”

Many people carried the flags of Lebanon and Hariri’s Future movement, while some waved the Syrian revolutionary flag.

Tamam Ali, a 27-year-old Future activist, warned: “It’s not just today. We were here yesterday and we’ll be here tomorrow and in the future.”

“First of all, we want the fall of this government. We want the Syrian embassy kicked out and we want an end to Hezbollah’s power of arms,” he said.

Hezbollah’s militia never disarmed after the devastating 1975–1990 civil war and is Lebanon’s most powerful armed force.

Mikati has linked Hassan’s murder to evidence implicating former minister Michel Samaha, who was arrested in August.

Samaha is suspected of planning attacks to provoke sectarian strife in Lebanon at Syria’s behest. The ISF played a key role in that investigation.

The United States, which has condemned Hassan’s assassination, on Sunday offered its help in the search for his killers.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spoke by phone with Mikati, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:743
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC