checkmate

Clinton set on leaving State Department

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton



WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama said on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) that he would love for Hillary Clinton to stay on as secretary of state after his hoped for re-election, but that “despite my begging” she has decided to move on.


“She has done an incredible job. She has logged a lot of miles, she has been working so hard, Obama told viewers on NBC television’s Tonight Show, a popular, late-night comedy program.

Less than two weeks before the November 6 vote that will determine whether he will win a second term in the White House, Obama heaped praise on Clinton, who four years ago was his bitter rival for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Obama ultimately won the nomination before defeating Republican nominee John McCain in the November 2008 election.

Clinton, the former first lady and one-time US senator, has proven to be an invaluable asset to Obama’s administration over the past four years and is viewed as one of its most competent and popular players.

“She has done a great job. I would love for her to stay,” said Obama, adding however that he also understands why she is leaving.

“I suspect that it is time for her to spend a little bit more time with her family,” he said. “I could not be prouder of the work she has done.”

Hillary Clinton is widely viewed as having taken a bullet for her boss earlier this month when she assumed the blame for the administration’s clumsy handling of the September 11 attack on the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, which killed four Americans, including the American ambassador to Libya.

Obama has come under fire from his critics over the assault during which heavily armed militants stormed the consulate compound and attacked an annex housing US personnel on the 11th anniversary of the al-Qaeda attacks on the United States.

Obama’s Republican rival in the November 6 vote, Mitt Romney, has accused the administration of giving a muddled response betraying a failed Middle East policy, while some Republican critics have gone so far as to allege a cover up.

Meanwhile Clinton’s husband, former US president Bill Clinton, who has been one of Obama’s most stalwart supporters on the campaign trail, gave a rousing speech in favor of the president during the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina last month.

That speech is credited with helping give Obama a sizable bump in the polls and a slight lead over Romney in the US presidential race.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:741
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC