checkmate

Task ahead is bigger, more complex – MILF leader

Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) chief Murad Ebrahim. AFP Photo




ZAMBOANGA CITY: The leader of the Philippines’ largest Muslim rebel group, Murad Ebrahim, praised the Muslim homeland deal they signed with Manila, but said that the path to peace in the restive southern region still has a long way to go.


Peace negotiators from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and the government recently signed the Framework Agreement that would pave the way for the creation of the Bangsamoro autonomous region that will replace the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

“Please be reminded that the task ahead is bigger and more complex and complicated and translating this agreement into reality on the ground. And the success of this agreement hinges on its implementation and the ultimate realization of what it envisions,” Ebrahim, who spoke to reporters at a rebel base in Mindanao on Saturday, said.

“It goes without saying that there is still a long process to go through. The negotiations are far from over as both the MILF and Philippine peace panels are yet to sit down again in Kuala Lumpur in mid-November to work in the details of the Framework Agreement on the unresolved issues in power-sharing, wealth-sharing, intergovernmental relations, and normalization,” he added.

He said that while the engagement is no longer adversarial and has taken on the form of a close partnership between the MILF and the government, they still have to ascertain that the letter and spirit of the Bangsamoro accord will govern the outcome of this partnership effort.

 “The signing of the Framework Agreement is a great leap forward in our concerted effort to address and resolve the Bangsamoro question on the negotiating table. No doubt the framework agreement is a veritable compass in mapping the normalization of the totality of the relationships between the Philippine State and the Bangsamoro people,” Ebrahim said.

“It confers upon the Bangsamoro people the recognition of their identity by the Philippine State and the international community, restores to them the core of their national homeland, and affords them the right to rule over themselves with the least interference from the central authority.”

The Moro National Liberation Front headed by Nur Misuari strong-ly criticized the accord, saying
that it violated the September 1996 peace agreement that the group signed with Manila.

But Ebrahim said that the Bang-samoro agreement will bring peace to Mindanao and benefit its people. He appealed to the MNLF and other Muslim groups to support the peace process.

He said that the agreement resolves the complex issue of sovereignty as well as the problem of peace and order that had been a major stumbling block in the government’s effort to attain full economic development, progress and political stability in Mindanao.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:740
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC