checkmate

US sifts through Sandy’s wreckage

An ambulance sits abandoned in the middle of a flooded street in Hoboken, New Jersey on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), a day after superstorm Sandy struck. AFP PHOTO





NEW YORK CITY: Americans sifted through the wreckage of superstorm Sandy on Wednesday as millions remained without power and President Barack Obama prepared to visit areas hardest hit by the unprecedented cyclone.

 

The storm carved a trail of devastation across New York City and New Jersey, killing dozens of people in several states, swamping miles of coastline, and throwing the tied-up White House race into disarray just days before the vote.

Obama planned to tour flooded areas alongside Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey as his Republican rival Mitt Romney was set to ease his way back onto the campaign trail in Florida after a storm-imposed virtual hiatus.

New York City authorities were meanwhile struggling to restore vital services and clear debris after a wall of storm-driven seawater flooded lower Manhattan, swamped road and rail tunnels and triggered fires.

“Restoring power and mass transit remain the two biggest challenges in the days ahead,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City told reporters on Tuesday, as rescue crews and utility workers surveyed an apocalyptic scene.

“This is the end of the downside, and hopefully from here it is going up.”

The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq aimed to reopen on Wednesday after their first weather-related closures since hurricane Gloria in 1985, and the John F. Kennedy and Newark Liberty international airports were set to reopen at 7 a.m. (1100 GMT), with limited services. La Guardia Airport remains closed.

The New York subway system, much of which was flooded by seawater, was still gripped by what management dubbed its worst disaster in its 108-year history, and the New Jersey
coastline remains a scene of sprawling devastation.

Obama, who faces a tough re-election battle on November 6, was set to tour some of the worst-hit areas with Christie—a prominent Republican and Romney supporter—who described the destruction as “unthinkable.”

“America is with you. We are standing behind you and we are going to do everything we can to help you get back on your feet,” Obama said on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the death toll from the storm rose to 43 in North America, in addition to the 67 people killed as Sandy swept through the Caribbean as a hurricane last week.

More than eight million homes and businesses from the Carolinas to Maine were without power, the Department of Energy said, with outages increasing as the still-formidable storm moves west towards the Great Lakes.

Insured losses from Sandy could run between seven and $15 billion, according to initial industry estimates.

Three US nuclear power reactors remained shut and a fourth on alert, after storm waters wreaked havoc with transmission networks and cooling systems, but authorities insisted there were no risks to the public.

Inland, Sandy dumped three feet (90 centimeters) of snow on high ground in Appalachian states as she headed west and north, spreading blizzard conditions over parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

In New York, residents spent Tuesday surveying the damage, confronting surreal scenes of flooded subway tunnels, a ship thrust ashore onto a railway track and cars bobbing like corks in submerged New York City parking lots.

In New York’s oceanside community of Breezy Point, the massive flooding was followed by an equally disastrous fire that destroyed more than 80 homes.

Carol Anderson, 53, whose house escaped the fire but not the flooding, had trouble identifying her neighborhood streets as she picked her way over charred beams and under scorched, dangling telephone and electrical lines on Tuesday.

“What a disaster. It’s like a warzone,” she said.

Forecasters warned that flooding would continue along the densely-populated mid-Atlantic coast and 7,400 National Guardsmen remained mobilized in 11 states to provide emergency relief.

Obama meanwhile strove to display leadership in the face of the disaster in a bid to avoid repeating the mistakes of predecessor George W. Bush, whose bungled response to hurricane Katrina in 2005 tainted his presidency.

“Do not figure out why we can’t do something. I want you to figure out how we do something,” he told government officials during a surprise visit Tuesday to the American Red Cross in Washington.

“I want you to cut through red tape. I want you to cut through bureaucracy. There’s no excuse for inaction at this point.”

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:737
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC