checkmate

Gov’t on high alert as Pinoys honor their dead

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority personnel wear scary masks while directing traffic along EDSA in Cubao, Quezon City on Wednesday. PHOTO BY MIGUEL DE GUZMAN

 

 

 

PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino 3rd on Wednesday assured the public that the government is on heightened alert to ensure the safety of those traveling to the provinces on All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day.


The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has expressed readiness for the occasion and the Department of Health (DOH) warned the public against buying food in cemeteries. Cemetery administrators, meanwhile, expect hundreds of thousands of people to visit their dead tomorrow.

President Aquino said that security in airports, seaports and bus terminals had been raised to ensure the passengers’ safe journey. The Philippine National Police also beefed up police visibility in cemeteries, churches and other public places to respond to people’s needs more quickly.

Earlier, Mr. Aquino visited major terminals in Metro Manila, including the domestic departure areas of Terminal 3 at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and the PhilTranco Bus Terminal in Pasay City.

The President said that he was satisfied with the government’s preparations for a peaceful and orderly observance of All Saints’ Day and All Souls Day.

Inspection
As part of his agency’s “Oplan Kaluluwa,” MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino personally inspected some cemeteries in Metro Manila to ensure that things are in order.

Tolentino said that the MMDA will not only help in the traffic management of areas near cemeteries, but also help in ensuring public safety.

He also said that the MMDA has already set up closed-circuit television camera-equipped vans at the Manila North and South Cemeteries, as well as Manila Memorial Park in Sucat, Parañaque City.

Careful
Eduardo Janairo, regional director of the DOH’s Center for Health Development-National Capital Region, said that the public should be careful in buying food in cemeteries.

“Be wary in buying peddled foods from ambulant vendors around the cemeteries as there is no guarantee of safety and sanitation. You should bring your own food and bring only those that are not immediately perishable,” Janairo said.

“Children should not be brought to cemeteries as they are more prone to contracting diseases. Older persons may also not tolerate crowded conditions in most cemeteries,” he added.

Two million visitors
Eddie Noriega, the director of the Manila North Cemetery in Sta. Cruz, Manila, said that at least two million visitors are expected to flock to the cemetery, where at least 900,000 to one million people are buried.

Noriega said that the necessary preparations have been made to accommodate those visiting their dead.

He also said that cemetery officials have demolished shanties inside the cemetery, as well as the stairs illegally installed outside its walls.

Meanwhile, Henry Dy, director of the Manila South Cemetery in Makati City, said that at least 800,000 people are expected to visit the estimated 375,000 people interred in the cemetery.
Dy said that directional and warning signs have been posted in conspicuous areas in the cemetery.

City engineer Armand Andres said that all lights have been checked to ensure that they are working. He added that roads were also checked for potholes and the drainage system has been declogged.

With reports from Ritchie A. Horario and Jovee Marie N. Dela Cruz

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:738
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC