checkmate

OFW killed in Saudi gas blast

A Saudi policeman inspects the destruction under a bridge where a gas tanker truck exploded on a main road in the Saudi capital Riyadh on November 1, 2012. AFP PHOTO/FAYEZ NURELDINE


An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) died, while 10 others were injured in a fuel truck explosion in Saudi Arabia on Thursday that killed 22 people and wounded 111, the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Friday.



Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez confirmed that Florentino Santiago, a truck driver, died in Riyadh because of injuries caused by the explosion. The decease’s brother-in-law, who was working for the same company, positively identified him.

Hernandez said that Santiago’s remains is in Riyadh Central Mortuary at Shumeisy Hospital, while other injured OFWs are confined in four hospitals in Riyadh.

“The [Philippine] embassy is monitoring their conditions and is in touch with their employers to make sure that all necessary assistance and care are given to them,” Hernandez said.

“The embassy is also coordinating with the employer of Mr. Santiago and his family for his repatriation,” he added.

Meanwhile, on Friday, Palace spokesman Abigail Valte said that Malacañang promise to assist Santiago’s family and the injured OFWs.

Vice President Jejomar Binay, who is also the Malacañang Adviser on OFWs Concerns, asked Philippine Ambassador to Riyadh Ezzedin Tago to exert all efforts to expedite the repatriation of Santiago’s remains.

Santiago is survived by his wife, Jocelyn, and two children ages four and 15. A gas tanker truck exploded on a main road in the Saudi capital. The lorry veered into a bridge pylon at a junction on Khurays Road in Riyadh, causing a gas leak that spread and then burst into flames, destroying nearby cars and a business.

Civil defense spokesman in Riyadh, Mohammed al-Hammadi, said that the explosion took place after gas leaked from the tank of the lorry.

“The explosion and fire happened after leaked gas filled the area. Huge damage happened, in addition to many traffic collisions,” he said.

There was a widespread damage to the area, with dozens of cars mangled by the blast and burned out.

A bus that had been gutted by the fire stood idle on the flyover, with witnesses saying that the vehicle had been transporting workers whose fate remained unknown. Another truck fell off the bridge due to the impact of the explosion, the witnesses said.

Hammadi said that a nearby show yard of construction machinery was also severely damaged by the explosion.

Amateur video footage posted on the Internet showed thick black smoke billowing from different spots around the flyover whose pylons were also damaged.

With reports from Catherine S. Valente, Ritchie Horario and AFP

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:737
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC