
| Boats sit on a property on Bayberry Avenue in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. AFP PHOTO |
NEW YORK CITY: A grim routine set in on Friday as superstorm Sandy’s US victims struggled to adjust to gas lines, power outages and temporary housing while the death toll from the monster cyclone approached 100.
New York’s famed subway lurched back to life with limited service on Thursday (Friday in Manila), offering some relief from the storm-battered city’s gridlock, but East Coast residents faced long lines at filling stations and lingering blackouts.
At least 92 people have now been reported dead across the 15 states hit by the unprecedented storm, including 40 in New York City, while some economists have estimated the disaster will cost up to $50 billion.
More bodies are being found as police and firefighters continue “their lifesaving mission, going block-by-block and door-to-door in the areas devastated by the hurricane,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York said.
With about 650,000 people still without power in New York, Bloomberg said that the city would start handing out food and water, while National Guard officers and police would go into high-rise buildings to help the elderly.
The Con Edison power company said that some New Yorkers would have to wait until November 11 before electricity is restored, and the National Guard was still rescuing people trapped in flooded homes in nearby Hoboken, New Jersey.
The floodwaters receded slowly, leaving scenes of desolation. A yacht, thrown up by the storm, blocked one street near the Hobo-ken ferry terminal.
New Jersey, which President Barack Obama visited on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila), saw the most widespread destruction, with entire communities along the coast flooded and some 1.8 million people still without power days after the storm.
Obama and Republican White House challenger Mitt Romney resumed full campaigning on Thursday five days out from a nailbiter election, although the tone of their attacks was more muted in the aftermath of the tragedy.
As he launched an ambitious swing through four vital battleground states, Obama took the time to call the governors of worst-hit states New York, New Jersey and Connecticut from aboard Air Force One, the White House said.
Meanwhile, the first subway trains brought some cheer to New York City.
A skeleton service started just before dawn and trains were quickly packed. Train rides were to
be free on Thursday and Friday.
In a bid to avoid traffic gridlock, Bloomberg said that until Friday cars entering Manhattan must carry at least three people. Police set up checkpoints at bridges and turned back hundreds of vehicles.
Some heartbreaking stories have emerged from the storm.
Two brothers, aged two and four, were swept from their mother’s arms in the floods as the family tried to escape the rising seas in the New York City borough of Staten Island.
Glenda Moore’s car became stuck in the water, and she was carrying the boys to seek help when they were swept away, the New York Post said. The boys, Connor aged four and Brandon aged two, were later found dead.
Many victims were electrocuted or drowned in flooded basements, while others died from poisoning from the fumes given off by diesel generators put into use since the storm.
The Shell oil company meanwhile was working to clean up a diesel spill off the coast of New York City estimated at up to 1.1 million liters, according to the company and the US Coast Guard.
New York police said that 28 people had been detained for looting in the Coney Island and Rockaway Beach districts.
Hurricane Sandy brought devastation throughout the Caribbean, hitting Haiti and Cuba especially hard before slamming into the United States and Canada. The overall death toll is now at least 163.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:737
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more