
| A woman walks along the beach in the heavily damaged Rockaway neighborhood, in Queens where a large section of the iconic boardwalk was washed away in New York. AFP PHOTO |
NEW YORK CITY: The famed New York marathon slated for Sunday has been canceled in the face of a rising death toll, crippled city infrastructure and widespread fuel shortages inflicted by hurricane Sandy.
Even though electricity finally returned to swaths of the Big Apple, parts of the city continued to strug-gle to recover from the devastation that killed at least 95 people in 15 states and in Canada.
The toll in New York City alone rose to 41 and at least 14 died in neighboring New Jersey, where searches of isolated areas are ongoing.
There was a glimmer of good news as power returned to 90,000 customers in Manhattan, amounting to almost half of the residences still left in the dark since Sandy struck.
However, widespread outages continued in other parts of the city, as well as in New Jersey. Tensions were laid bare as fights erupted in huge queues at the few gas stations still functioning, with some cities in the New York region rationing fuel even for emergency services.
Amid the city’s struggles, Mayor Michael Bloomberg reversed his earlier position that the city’s marathon should go ahead as a sign of resilience. He had been under growing pressure from critics who said that the marathon would divert badly needed police and other resources.
The cancellation of the 40-year-old event was cheered by New Yorkers who organized a social media campaign accusing the authorities of being out of touch.
The marathon typically brings the city $340 million, but much of that would have been lost, organizers said, because as many as 10,000 of the field of nearly 45,000 runners would not have come this year because of the damage.
More pressing was finding vehicle fuel as the biggest US city attempts to return to life. Many stations have gasoline but no electricity to power the pumps and handle payments. Some station owners refuse to open until police are on guard.
At Essex County in New Jersey, authorities were limiting even police and fire vehicles to half a tank. Some drivers said that they waited up to 10 hours to fill up.
The American Automobile Association estimates that 60 percent of gas stations in New Jersey and 70 percent in New York’s Long Island are closed. Authorities said that 13 of the 34 fuel terminals around New York have no power.
Suffering Manhattan commuters are struggling with “significantly” fewer taxis, according to the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission.
The government, meanwhile, brought in fuel from other states and reopened ports to get supplies moving.
According to The New York Times, the White House has also instructed the Defense Department to send 90.8 million liters of fuel to the region and lifting restrictions on deliveries by foreign-flagged ships. It authorized the department to hire hundreds of trucks that will be used to deliver 45.4 million liters each of gasoline and diesel fuel, mostly from commercial suppliers, to staging areas in New Jersey.
Despite progress in Manhattan, the lack of electricity also continued to afflict tens of thousands of homeowners.
Some areas of New York may have to wait until November 11 before getting power back.
National Guard troops handed out 290,000 meals and 500,000 bottles of water in the first day of an emergency aid operation in New York, Bloomberg said. Hundreds also queued for free ice to preserve food given out in Union Square.
Bloomberg has deftly handled the challenges of responding to one of the most devastating storms to hit the United States, but the marathon controversy could put a dent in his standing.
Bloomberg defended his initial decision earlier, saying that New York pushed on with the marathon after the September 11, 2001 attacks and had to do so again.
But Staten Island community leaders have complained bitterly that they have been forgotten as aid pours into other districts. At least 18 people died on Staten Island, where huge waves swept away homes.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:736
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more