
| President Benigno Aquino 3rd smiles as he is greeted by an honor guard upon his arrival at Wattay airport to attend the ninth Asia-Europe (ASEM 9) summit in Vientiane. AFP PHOTO |
President Benigno Aquino 3rd will raise the territorial dispute over the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) at the 9th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM9) that starts today in Laos.
President Aquino, who left yesterday afternoon accompanied by some Cabinet officials, also expects to hold bilateral meetings with the leaders of the European Union, Poland, Switzerland, Norway and Italy.
“At a time when parts of Asia and Europe are facing crisis and uncertainty, it is important for leaders of the two regions to discuss issues they are burdened with,” he said in his departure speech.
The President said that the Philippines would seek “suggestions on ways to craft a just and peaceful agreement on the West Philippine Sea.”
The Philippines, since April, has been engaged in a standoff with China over a disputed shoal in the West Philippine Sea.
China claims nearly all of the sea, even waters close to the coasts of neighboring countries. Aside from China and the Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei Darusallam also have claims to parts of the sea.
The Philippines and Vietnam have accused China of becoming increasingly aggressive in staking out its claims.
Mr. Aquino will also discuss with EU leaders increasing economic cooperation and seek ways to limit the impact of fiscal crises hobbling some European nations.
He said that efforts should be taken to make Asia and Europe lead the global economy.
The President’s visit to Laos will cost the government P8.9 million.
Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. said that the P8.9 million budget will cover the entire delegation’s chartered flight to Laos, accommodation, transportation, food, and equipment and telecommunications requirements, among others.
Mr. Aquino’s 60-member delegation includes Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima, Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo, Secretary to the Cabinet Jose Rene Almendras, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. and Socio-Economic Planning Secretary Arsenio Balisacan.
“President Aquino hopes to further strengthen our exceptional partnership with Europe by reaffirming the significance of the long-standing economic and political ties between our country and the region,” Ochoa said.
He said that Mr. Aquino will highlight the government’s anti-corruption programs and accomplishments in good governance, as well as underline the importance of upholding the rights of migrant workers.
The two-day meeting brings together the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) and the European Union, the European Commission and the Asean Plus Three dialogue partners.
There are more than 700,000 Filipinos living and working in Europe as of 2011.
Europe is the Philippines’ third largest trade partner after North America and Asia, with trade pegged at $13 billion or about 12 percent of the country’s total trade to the world last year.
WITH REPORTS FROM BENJIE L. VERGARA AND AFP
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:735
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:150
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more