checkmate

Janowicz’s fairytale continues as he reaches final


PARIS: Jerzy Janowicz’s extraordinary campaign in what is his first ATP Masters event continued on Saturday as the Pole reached the final after beating Frenchman Gilles Simon 6-4, 7-5 in the Paris tournament.


He will play David Ferrer in Sunday’s final after the in-form Spaniard saw off France’s last representative Michael Llodra 7-5, 6-3.

Janowicz, 21 and more acquainted with the second tier Challenger tour, had already disposed of among others US Open champion Andy Murray and he required just over two hours to end Simon’s interest.

And he joked that his run here is turning him into a household name back home.

“This tournament is going to change a lot—in Poland, the street where I live is totally blocked with dozens of TV vans out there is no way to get to my house right now,” laughed the 22-year-old from Lodz.

The Pole, ranked 69 in the world prior to the tournament, pounded Simon in the first set with unstoppable serves while the Frenchman, ranked 20, was unable to get his service going in the first set with just a success rate of 50% first serves in.

Janowicz, who had to come through qualifying to make the draw proper, eventually ended Simon’s resistance in the second set by breaking for 6-5 and safely wrapped it up in the next game on his own service.

Janowicz admitted that the butterflies got to him before the match but he overcame them.

“I was a bit nervous before the match—it was my first semi-final at this level. I didn’t know if I would do myself justice.

“But finally I had an incredible feeling as I did yesterday and two days ago [in beating Murray],” said the unheralded Pole.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:736
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC