checkmate

Poonsawat books title fight on Donaire card

Nonito Donaire Jr. AFP FILE PHOTO



HOUSTON, Texas: “Filipino Flash” Nonito Donaire Jr. will defend his super bantamweight crown against Mexico’s Jorge Arce next month and Thailand’s Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym reportedly will fight for a rival title.


Donaire, who is 10 days shy of his 30th birthday, will make his third defense of the World Boxing Organization belt he won earlier this year on December 15 at Houston in the home arena of the NBA’s Houston Rockets.

And Poonsawat will challenge 32-year-old unbeaten Cuban southpaw Guillermo Rigondeaux for the World Boxing Association version of the same weight division crown in a deal signed on Tuesday, promoters told ESPN.

Donaire, 30-1 with 19 knockouts, beat South African Jeffrey Mathe-bula last July and Japan’s Toshiaki Nishioka last month after taking the title with a split decision last February over Puerto Rico’s Wilfredo Vazquez.

Arce, 33, is 61-6 with two drawn and 46 knockouts. He has nine wins and a draw since last being beaten by South African Simphiwe Nongqayi in 2009—a defeat Arce avenged last year.

Two-time Olympic champion Rigondeaux, 11-0 with eight knockouts, will also make his third defense of a crown won this year.

Rigondeaux, who has been pushing for a unification bout with Donaire, beat Americans Teon Kennedy and Robert Marroquin in prior title defenses this year.

Poonsawat, who held the WBA crown for most of 2010, is 48-2 with 33 knockouts. He has won seven fights in a row since losing the WBA crown in October of 2010 to Japan’s Ryol Li Lee by unanimous decision.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:733
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:249
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC