checkmate

Obama backs top general over ex-CIA chief sex scandal

President Barack Obama (left) announces that he will nominate Leon Panetta (2nd from left), currently the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), as Secretary of Defense to succeed current Secretary Robert Gates (not in the photo), General David Petraeus (3rd from left) as the next director of the CIA, and General John Allen (right), currently the Deputy Commander for Centcom, as commander for US forces in Afghanistan, in the East Room of the White House in Washington, D.C. in the April 28, 2011 file photo. AFP PHOTO









WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Barack Obama gave his backing to the commander of US forces in Afghanistan on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) after the top general was dragged into the sex scandal that brought down CIA director David Petraeus.


General John Allen was placed under investigation after Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents probing email threats sent by Petraeus’ mistress stumbled upon a vast trove of “flirtatious” messages Allen sent to another woman at the heart of the scandal.

According to a senior Pentagon official, Allen denies any sexual liaison with the woman, 37-year-old Tampa socialite Jill Kelley, but the “sheer volume” of correspondence could be found to amount to “conduct unbecoming an officer.”

Due to face lawmakers this week for a hearing to confirm his promotion to the post of North Atlantic
Treaty Organization’s supreme commander in Europe, Allen will now return to Kabul and remain in charge in Afghanistan until the investigation is over.

“I can tell you that the president thinks very highly of General Allen and of his service to his country, as well as the job he has done in Afghanistan,” White House spokesman Jay Carney told the reporters.

“He has faith in General Allen,” he added, referring reporters’ questions on the inquiries into both Allen and Petraeus to the Pentagon, the FBI and the Justice Department.

Washington was already reeling from Petraeus’ shock resignation when it learned that Allen—who served with him in Iraq and at US Central Command in Tampa, Florida—had also been caught up in the scandal.

Petraeus resigned last week when it became clear that his affair with married 40-year-old military reservist Paula Broadwell, a military academic who wrote a fawning biography of the general, would become public.

FBI agents stumbled on the liaison after a complaint from Kelley—a married Tampa woman and close friend of both Petraeus and Allen—who told a federal agent that she had received threatening emails.

Investigators traced the mails to Broadwell’s account and discovered that she had been in a relationship with Petraeus, despite both being married.

The threatening emails she had sent to Kelley—who told investigators she did not know Broadwell—suggest that the biographer was jealous of the socialite’s rapport with the generals at US Central Command in Florida.

It emerged on Tuesday that the agents had also discovered that Allen had sent a huge number of mails to Kelley, triggering an investigation into whether he had broken the law or any military regulations during the friendship.

In all, the FBI is investigating between 20,000 to 30,000 pages of Allen’s correspondence, a Pentagon official told reporters traveling with US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to Australia.

The Washington Post, citing a senior military official close to Allen, reported that the correspondence included 200 to 300 emails between Kelley and the general. AFP


Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:731
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:248
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:150
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:669
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC