
| President Benigno Aquino 3rd FILE PHOTO |
Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Thursday urged Philippine President Benigno Aquino 3rd to do more to break up private armed groups, three years after 58 people were killed in the country’s worst political massacre.
The watchdog’s Asia director Brad Adams said that the government had failed to disband dozens of so-called “private armies” following the November 23, 2009 massacre in Maguindanao province that was blamed on a powerful local clan.
“Three years since the horrors of the Maguindanao massacre, the trial crawls along, half of the suspects remain at large, and the victims’ families still face threats,” Adams said in a statement.
Presidential Strategic and Communications Secretary Ramon “Ricky” Carandang said that police had carried out raids against such groups, leading to some arrests.
He cited an interior department report that showed only around 60 private armed groups remained, compared with 112 at the end of 2010.
Adams said that Aquino should revoke an order issued by his predecessor and now Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of Pampanga province that authorized local officials to form and arm civilian paramilitary units to help law enforcers keep the peace in areas troubled by insurgencies.
HRW said that the order had been abused by many local officials in justifying their own “private armies” that, he said, they then used against political rivals.
The Ampatuan clan is accused of carrying out the 2009 massacre in their Maguindanao provincial stronghold to stop a rival, Esmael Mangudadatu, from running against one of its members in elections the following year.
The victims included Mangudadatu’s wife and sister, their lawyers and a large group of journalists.
Philippine police said that 103 people have been arrested over the massacre, including the clan patriarch. However 92 other suspects remain at large.
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:730
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters
Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:248
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter
President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:127
By : AFP
Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more
Published : Thursday January 17, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:149
By : AFP
This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more
Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013 | Category : headlines | Hits:668
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST
Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN It’s certainly a... Read more