checkmate

McIlroy seeking double in Dubai Championship

Rory McIlroy AFP FILE PHOTO



DUBAI: The European Tour’s finest have converged on the Greg Norman-designed Earth Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates in Dubai this week aiming to prevent a Rory McIlroy sweep at the season-ending $8 million (6.2 million euros) DP World Tour Championship.


There are two trophies up for grabs and McIlroy has already written his name on one of them.

The 23-year-old Ulsterman secured the Race to Dubai crown (European Tour’s Money List) and the top prize in the bonus pool when he finished third in Singapore two weeks ago. That gave him an unassailable lead coming into this week’s season-finale.

The focus now shifts to the tournament, with McIlroy having thrown the gauntlet to the field saying that his motivation now was to win a fifth title in a season where he has won the USPGA Championship and three regular tournaments on the PGA Tour. He has also won the Money List in the United States and is ranked No.1 in the world.

Such has been his dominance that his nearest rival, Sweden’s Peter Hanson, did not even go the extra yard of entering the tournaments in the last couple of weeks and try to close the gap on McIlroy down the stretch.

Hanson, winner of the BMW Masters at Lake Malaren in China last month where he beat McIlroy, said: “To be honest, I never had a chance. Rory was almost +900,000 ahead of me and the way he was playing, there really was no way I could have overtaken him, or even made him sweat.

“I did discuss it with Justin [Rose] and a few others, and none of us felt we could have challenged him even by adding the last two events to our schedules.”

But McIlroy, who missed the cut last week in Hong Kong where he was the defending champion, will have to bring his A game this week if he wants to take home both the trophies.

Chief among those who can give McIlroy a run for his money are the world No.2 Luke Donald, who won last week in Japan, Europe’s Ryder Cup talisman Ian Poulter (winner at WGC-HSBC Champions and runner-up last week in Australian Masters), Louis Oosthuizen, who was sixth in WGC-HSBC and runner-up in Singapore, and the 19-year-old Matteo Manassero, who won in Singapore and was fourth in Hong Kong.

Headlines

Melad blames Marantan for Quezon bloodshed

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:730
By : Fatima Cielo B. Cancel and William B. Depasupil Reporters

Soldiers who were involved in the shooting incident in Atimonan, Quezon hide their faces as they are escorted to the National Bureau of Investigation. PHOTO BY RENE DILAN       Calabarzon police chief James Melad on Wednesday said t... Read more

Aquino not certifying FOI bill as urgent

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:248
By : Catherine S. Valente Reporter

President Benigno Aquino 3rd AFP FILE PHOTO     Despite making an assurance that the freedom of information (FOI) bill will be passed, President Benigno Aquino 3rd has shown no inclination to push for its immediate enactment. Read more

Campus blasts kill 87 in Syria’s Aleppo

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:127
By : AFP

Syrians gather at the scene of an explosion outside Aleppo University, between the university dormitories and the architecture faculty. AFP PHOTO DAMASCUS: Twin blasts ripped through university buildings in Syria’s second city Al... Read more

Sportsdom awaits Armstrong interview

Published : Thursday January 17, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:149
By : AFP

This photo received on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila), courtesy of OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, shows Oprah Winfrey’s exclusive interview with Lance Armstrong. ‘Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive,’ has expanded to air as a two-n... Read more

Gun business booms under Aquino

Published : Wednesday January 16, 2013   |  Category : headlines   |  Hits:668
By : RIGOBERTO TIGLAO COLUMNIST

Director Richard Albano of Quezon City police inspects firearms seized from robbers, who were also charged with violating the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections on Tuesday. PHOTO BY MIKE DE JUAN         It’s certainly a... Read more

Hosting Powered and Design By: I-MAP WEBSOLUTIONS, INC